Country Representative, Timor Leste
WorldFish is a leading international research organization and a member of CGIAR, working to reduce hunger, malnutrition, and poverty by sustainably improving aquatic food systems. It collaborates with international, regional, and national partners to co-develop and deliver scientific innovations, evidence for policy, and knowledge to enable equitable, inclusive impact for millions who depend on fish for their livelihoods. For more information, visit: www.worldfishcenter.org”
About the Position
The Country Representative for Timor Leste represents WorldFish at the country level. This role provides leadership in the strategic development and management of Timor Leste ‘research in development’ portfolio, engagement with new and existing partners, and fostering collaborations with national partners and donors, and other CGIAR centers.
The Country Representative manages the Timor Leste country office’s operations and its staff. The incumbent will regularly engage with other WorldFish country program leads and Headquarters staff. The Country Representatives provides research contributions to the Timor Leste country program in alignment with personal expertise and experience.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
Country Program Development and Implementation:
- Develop and implement the strategic direction for the Timor Leste country office, aligning it with WorldFish's Research and Innovation Strategy and national priorities.
- Lead the formulation, funding, and management of ‘research in development’ projects, actively contributing to proposal design and development.
- Ensure strong linkages between country programs and global initiatives, providing necessary data, reports and inputs.
- Oversee the delivery, monitoring and reporting of multi-country programs or regional/global initiatives in the country.
- Provide substantive guidance to senior management on the country’s strategic direction related to aquatic food systems development and research programs.
- Develop and manage relationships with the Timor Leste government, effectively representing WorldFish’s interests.
- Maintain oversight of WorldFish’s hosting agreements so they stay current and relevant.
- Stay informed about donor and government priorities, country plans and initiatives, ensuring alignment with WorldFish objectives.
- Coordinate WorldFish engagement with OneCGIAR regional and global programs.
- Working with WorldFish colleagues, strengthen partnerships with CGIAR units, donors, research partners, government bodies and other stakeholders to enhance the visibility WorldFish's work.
- Represent WorldFish at national, and when required, regional and global forums.
Research Development, Implementation and Adoption:
- Drive the design and execution of a ‘research in development’ program within an aquatic food systems context.
- Collaborate with WorldFish staff and partners to align research programs with national priorities, WorldFish's strategies and CGIAR's goals.
- Facilitate the dissemination and uptake of research findings through stakeholder engagement and through coordination with communication teams.
Fundraising and Budget Management:
- Lead and/or contribute to fundraising effort at the national and global level, identifying opportunities, collaborating with donors, and assisting colleagues in proposal preparation.
- Monitor the financial position of the country program and ensure alignment with funding targets.
- Take overall responsibility for office management, including budgeting, risk management, data management, and financial reporting.
Office Management, People Management and Administration:
- Efficiently manage resources, ensuring adequate human, financial, and material assets for research and operations, in consultation with relevant functional units within WorldFish.
- Lead recruitment efforts, staff planning, and professional development, fostering positive team dynamics.
- Oversee the performance of country office staff, fostering teamwork and collaboration and ensuring high-quality science outputs in collaboration with global science teams.
- Implement safety and security protocols for a safe work environment.