Senior Scientist (Aquatic Farming Practices)
“WorldFish is a leading international research organization working to transform aquatic food systems to reduce hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. It collaborates with international, regional, and national partners to co-develop and deliver scientific innovations, evidence for policy, and knowledge to enable equitable and inclusive impact for millions who depend on fish for their livelihoods. As a member of CGIAR, WorldFish contributes to building a food- and nutrition-secure future and restoring natural resources. Headquartered in Penang, Malaysia, with country offices across Africa, Asia, and the Pacific, WorldFish strives to create resilient and inclusive food systems for shared prosperity. For more information, visit: www.worldfishcenter.org”
About the Position
The Senior Scientist (Aquatic Farming Practices) will work across disciplines and sectors to generate compelling scientific evidence that persuades critical stakeholders and decision-makers at all levels to invest resources and implement practical aquatic farming practices that will ensure production of sustainable and safe aquatic foods in Africa, Asia and the Pacific. As a member of the Aquatic Foods Bioscience team, the Senior Scientist (Aquatic Farming Practices) will lead and grow a research program that advances and increases scientific knowledge and public awareness on production practices and integrated farming systems, with a focus on aquatic foods such fish, seaweeds, algae, macrophytes, bivalves and mollusks. As a member of the science team of WorldFish and the OneCGIAAR, the Senior Scientist (Aquatic Farming Practices) will work in an interdisciplinary team of experts from different backgrounds, including aquatic animal feeds, aquatic animal health, aquatic animal genetics, gender and social inclusion, climate change, scaling of innovations, monitoring, evaluation and learning, impact assessment, fisheries, science communication, rural development and bioprocesses, and contribute to mobilizing resources at the Center and OneCGIAR levels to achieve WorldFish Strategy.
- Lead/co-lead the aquatic farming practices program, ensuring that the program aligns with WorldFish’s strategic goals, and is innovative and generates new knowledge in Aquatic Foods Biosciences, maintaining high visibility and credibility in relevant scientific, development and policy networks and platforms.
- Responsible for the design and oversight of the efficient execution of the global scientific and technical Aquatic Farming Practices strategy, as part of the Aquatic Foods Bioscience research agenda.
- Design, undertake and analyse high quality research to inform sustainable aquatic food production and farming practices at global, regional, and country levels.
- Work closely with other members of the Aquatic Foods Bioscience team (aquatic farming practices, aquatic animal health, aquatic animal genetics and social sciences) and external partners, to deliver integrated solutions to accelerate sustainable growth of aquatic food production (aquaculture).
- Develop strong inter-disciplinary partnerships and maintain collaboration with WorldFish scientists, local and international research institutes and private sector, focused on research solutions for sustainable growth of aquaculture in Africa, Asia and the pacific.
- Design, execute and report on the laboratory, on-station, on-farm and field studies related to production gaps, validation of innovations generated through research in aquatic animal health and aquatic animal genetics, and integrated aquatic food production systems.
- Maintain a strong publication record in peer reviewed journals and create ccommunication products for end users of research.
- Provide technical advice to clients as required and assist capacity building.
- Mobilize resources in support of WorldFish Aquatic Foods Bioscience research agenda.
- Develop and lead the project scope, budgets and teams.
- Manage research staff, students and interns at WorldFish offices, in-person and remotely.
- Build productive relations with investors and development partners from public and private sectors for scaling out research results.
- Plan, organize, execute and report on the progress of projects and programs in dialogue with senior as well as junior staff/employees and external partners.
- Contribute to WorldFish and oneCGIAR impact targets and overall strategies.