Supervisory Fish Biologist.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

People & HR, Operations
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2024

The California-Nevada Fish Health Center (FHC) Project Leader supervises a diverse staff of permanent and temporary professional and technical personnel. The FHC provides fish health-related diagnostics, inspections, research, and treatment at 5 facilities in CA, NV and southern OR. Additionally, the FHC performs contracted pathogen surveys on the Feather and Klamath Rivers.

As the California-Nevada Fish Health Center Project Leader your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Supervising and directing the activities of permanent and temporary staff including senior- and mid-level fishery biologists, biological technicians, and maintenance personnel. Responsibilities include conducting performance reviews, developing, and initiating personnel actions, verifying time and attendance, authorizing leave, and producing employee development and training plans.
  • Overseeing the Center's daily operation and administration. Responsibilities include authorizing purchases, overseeing facility maintenance repair and construction, developing and implementing budgets.
  • Actively pursuing and developing outside funding for investigative research.
  • Representing the Center and/or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at Regional and National intra- and inter-agency meetings, work groups, and scientific symposia.
  • Preparing written materials for use as briefing statements, outreach brochures, web-based summaries, internal reports, project descriptions, and manuscripts to be submitted to peer-reviewed journals.


Conditions of Employment

  • Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
  • Resume (See "Required Documents"). Failure to provide ALL required information on your resume will result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all information is provided on resume.
  • Eligibility and Supporting documents - You will ONLY be considered for the eligibilities that you select "yes" to AND submit the required supporting documentation, as listed in the Required Documents section.
  • Suitability for employment, as determined by background investigation.
  • Driver's License: Selectees MAY be required to possess and maintain a valid State driver's license at all times during their tenure.
  • Uniform: Official U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service uniform is REQUIRED.
  • Probationary Period: Selectees MAY be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
  • Supervisory Probationary Period: Selectees who have not previously completed a supervisory probationary period, will be required to serve a one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period for this position.
  • Notice of Financial Disclosure Report Requirement: This position is subject to a financial disclosure requirement and you will be required to complete either OGE Form 278e or OGE Form 450 as applicable within 30 days of your appointment
  • Individuals assigned male at birth after 12-31-59 must be registered for the Selective Service. To verify registration visit


Only experience and education obtained by 06/03/2024 will be considered.

In order to qualify for this position, you must possess both the Basic Requirement and Minimum Qualifications

Basic Requirement

  • Degree with a major in biological science that included (1) at least 6 semester hours in aquatic subjects such as limnology, ichthyology, fishery biology, aquatic botany, aquatic fauna, oceanography, fish culture, or related courses in the field of fishery biology, AND (2) at least 12 semester hours in animal science subjects such as general zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, entomology, parasitology, ecology, cellular biology, genetics, or research in these fields. (Excess coursework in aquatic subjects may be used to satisfy the animal science coursework requirement when appropriate.). -OR-
  • Combination of education and experience that includes coursework equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours), of which a minimum of 6 semester hours were in aquatic subjects and 12 semester hours were in the animal sciences, as shown in A above, PLUS appropriate experience or additional education. The quality of this combination of education and experience is comparable to successful completion of a full four-year course of study.

Minimum Qualification [GS-13]:

  • One year of specialized experience comparable to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service performing work in or directly related to the position to be filled. Experience may include: (1) supervising staff; (2) evaluating hatchery fish health operations and management practices; (3) preparing and delivering oral presentations describing research results at a variety of forums; (4) applying professional knowledge of fish biology principles, theories, and practices to investigate the biology, ecology, and habitat requirements of aquatic species; (5) leading a team of biologists and technicians tasked with fish health monitoring and evaluations at a fish health lab or hatchery; (6) using state-of-the-art technology in microbiology, virology, parasitology, and serology to perform fish disease diagnostic and inspection procedures; (7) monitoring, inspecting, and certifying the health of free-ranging fish, brood stock, production fish, Endangered Species Act-listed fish, and other aquatic species. NOTE: Your resume must contain sufficient information in these areas to be found qualified.

Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.


PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.

PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.

GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.

FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit:

Additional information

PCS INFORMATION: Yes, entitlements for payment of basic moving expenses, as required and to the extent allowed by the Federal Travel Regulation (FTR) 302-3.101, are authorized for eligible applicants changing duty station when the change meets the distance tests as provided in FTR 302-1.1 and 302-2.6. All moving expenses are taxable. In addition, relocation discretionary entitlements may be authorized for this position excluding contractor-provided home sale.

Telework: This position is suitable for telework and may be allowed to telework with supervisory approval.

Additional Vacancies: One or more positions may be filled from applications received under this announcement in the advertised office or other U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service offices in the local commuting area.

Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): Department of Interior (DOI) Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) procedures apply in filling this vacancy. CTAP or ICTAP applicants must be determined to be well-qualified for this position in order to receive special selection priority. To be well-qualified, a CTAP or ICTAP applicant must meet the following: OPM qualification requirements for the position, all selective factors, where applicable; special OPM approved qualifying conditions for the position; is physically qualified with reasonable accommodation, where appropriate, to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry; and receives a rating of at least 85 on the questionnaire. For more information visit:

  • A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.

Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.