Head of Strategy & Operations
The Minderoo Foundation
Minderoo Foundation takes on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas, advocate for systems change and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible.
Minderoo Foundation is proudly Australian, independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. Through bold, collaborative and selfless action, we seek to dismantle the systems that entrench inequality and advocate for a fairer future.
The Strategy and Operations enabler area works closely with the CEO to set the organisation wide strategy and to ensure the Foundation is set up to deliver on this strategy.
They support the effective operation of the Foundation’s three Focus Areas and Impact Missions to ensure they meet their strategy & planning, financial, operational, legal, risk and compliance obligations. They also work closely with enabler and Corporate Services functions to provide management and board reporting, ensure appropriate policies and procedure are in place and to deliver major projects, including transformational IT projects.
About the Opportunity
As Head of Strategy & Operations, you will contribute to overall organisational effectiveness by working closely with peers in the Strategy & Operations team and with senior leaders in Focus Area and Enabler teams to ensure strategic planning and operational processes are implemented effectively and efficiently.
You will facilitate Focus Area strategy development and partner with subject matter experts to drive the successful execution of Bodies of Work (BoW) aligned to that strategy. You will monitor progress and apply an impact measurement and learning approach to deliver maximum impact.
You may be allocated to a particular Focus Area (either Communities, Gender & Equality and Oceans) role on a temporary or long-term basis, based on the resourcing needs of the broader Strategy & Operations team. You may also play a central role and contribute to organisation wide Strategy & Operations workstreams, as required. Working in a matrix model, you will play a critical role in building and maintain a One Foundation mindset from a strategy perspective.
What You’ll Do
You will working closely with peers in the Strategy & Operations team and with senior leaders in Focus Area and Enabler teams and be responsible for:
- Assisting the Director, Strategy with organisation strategy refinement and refreshes;
- Developing and evolving detailed strategy and BoW in alignment with the organisation-wide strategy and approach.
- Driving and contributing to the budgeting and annual planning process, including ongoing monitoring of milestones and financial performance;
- Setting, measuring and responding to performance against impact management indicators;
- Developing organisation wide tools, templates, policies and processes relating to strategic planning and project management;
- Contributing to regular portfolio management and board reporting;
- Overseeing risk, compliance and policy related matters;
- Contributing to organisation wide tools, templates, policies, processes and projects (including IT projects);
- Providing a key point of contact for corporate service functions such as P&C, Finance, Legal and IT regarding operational processes for your Focus Area team, as required.
Who you are
You will have proven experience in a strategy and planning related role. Experience relating to system thinking and strategy development in a philanthropic setting or in the sectors of Communities, Gender and Equality or Oceans is highly desirable. You will possess:
· Strategic thinking – an ability to problem-solve complex social, economic and / or environmental problems using a systems thinking lens to influence change.
· Commercial acumen – strong understanding of intersection of strategy and financial planning and budgeting processes.
· Stakeholder management – confidently and collaboratively works with senior stakeholders, both internal and external.
· Agile – Ability to deliver on strategic goals whilst demonstrating agility to adapt plans as needed to respond to new information or needs.
· Analytical thinker – Ability to source, gather, interpret, and communicate quantitative and qualitative organisational data to a wide-ranging audience.
· Collaborator – excellent interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, values collective problem-solving and to achieve common goals.
· Excellent communication – strong communicator (verbally and in writing), able to create and deliver high conviction messages to a wide range of stakeholders, staff, partners, etc.
· Pragmatism – the ability to balance strategy and impact focused work with operational execution.
Please attach your resume and a cover letter explaining why you interested in this opportunity.
Applications close: Monday 5 February 2024
Please note we reserve the right to extend closing date and/or close applications early should a suitable candidate be identified.
Minderoo Foundation embraces Equal Opportunity and promotes diversity. We actively encourage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders, people of all backgrounds, ages, sexual orientation, and those with Disability to apply.