The Minderoo Foundation
Minderoo Foundation is a modern philanthropic organisation. We take on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible.
Minderoo Foundation is proudly Australian, independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. Through bold, collaborative and selfless action, we seek to dismantle the systems that entrench inequality and advocate for a fairer future.
The Strategy and Operations enabler works closely with the CEO to set the organisation wide strategy and to ensure the Foundation is set up to deliver on this strategy.
They support the effective operation of the Foundation’s Focus Areas and Impact Missions to ensure they meet their strategy & planning, financial, operational, legal, risk and compliance obligations. They also work closely with Enabler and Corporate Services functions to provide management and board reporting, ensure appropriate policies and procedure are in place and to deliver major projects, including transformational IT projects.
About the Opportunity
In alignment with the overall Strategy & Operations strategy, you will lead the team’s overall strategy to design, implement and advance the Strategy and Planning. Your work will be focused on developing sustainable change to help Minderoo’s ambition to “work for a fairer future”.
Reporting to the Executive Director Strategy & Operations, you will oversee / build a high-performing team and create a value aligned environment, both internally at the Foundation and externally across the Strategy & Planning.
The Director, Strategy will serve as a key member of the Strategy & Operations enabler leadership team and will contribute to advancing Minderoo’s mission and driving impact by working productively and efficiently in a matrix structure across both Strategy & Operations and with a one Foundation mindset.
What You’ll Do
As the Foundation’s ‘big picture’ strategist, the Director, Strategy will be the bridge between the Foundation’s broader mission and the specific objectives of each focus area but also ensuring the evolution of the strategy while consistently tracking its original intent.
The Director, Strategy will be responsible for:
- Develop a supportive coalition of internal and external key stakeholders to deliver on the 2030 strategy, operating model and change agenda.
- Lead organisation strategy refinement and refreshes.
- Assist the Executive Director, Strategy & Operations to facilitate executive management, CEO and Board approval of Foundation strategy refreshes and budgets.
- Establish and maintain strong networks in the global philanthropic sector and with strategy peers to identify emerging trends, threats, and opportunities for the Foundation.
- Develop and improve best practice methodologies to strategy development and implementation relevant to Minderoo’s core focus areas of Communities, Gender & Equality and Oceans.
- Lead a team responsible for the development of organisation wide tools, templates, policies and processes relating to strategic planning and project management.
- Review and endorse detailed Focus Area strategies to ensure alignment with the organisation-wide strategy and approach.
- Support a learning agenda based on external resources, case examples and learnings from other philanthropic organisations.
- Oversee and drive monitoring portfolio-wide performance against impact management indicators to support decision-making and long-term planning.
- Establish and evolve the program management office and instil a strong project management discipline throughout the Foundation.
- Oversee and drive collaboration with relevant stakeholders to prepare regular portfolio-wide management and board reporting.
- Liaise with peers and stakeholders in enabler and corporate services functions to ensure successful implementation of Minderoo’s 2030 strategy and operating model.
Who You Are
➢ An inspiring leader who fosters and actively contributes to a safe, values aligned, mission-oriented culture, brings diverse teams together, delegates and empowers people to do their best work, maintaining a focus on results, accountability, integrity and impact.
➢ Ability to balance vision and action. The ability to keep an eye on the present while at the same time having a passion for what is possible in the future.
➢ Inventive. Combining rational and emotional intelligence with a broad base of knowledge (business, social, political, cultural) to create new methods, solutions, ideas, models. Ability to transcend traditional thinking and reimagine the new.
➢ Distil simplicity from complexity. In order to make decisions on the best course of action to take.
➢ Intuition. The courage to trust good judgement when the data and market intelligence about the future is incomplete or inconclusive.
➢ Agile. To course correct quickly and to constantly challenge and improve one’s own ideas.
➢ Influence. The ability to communicate and inspire through storytelling. Painting an exciting picture of what is possible. A powerful advocate.
➢ Relationship builder. Involving others. Relating to people who have a wide range of knowledge, agendas and roles. Networker. Collaborative. Straight talker yet diplomatic. Has integrity. Reliable. Manages expectations. Manages politics.
➢ Confidence. Calm under pressure, manages stress well. Works the problem.
Please attach your resume and a cover letter explaining why you interested in this opportunity.
Applications close: Friday 25th September 2023
Please note we reserve the right to close applications early should a suitable candidate be identified.
Tattarang and Minderoo Foundation are an “All Roles Flex” employer. Tattarang and Minderoo Foundation embraces Equal Opportunity and promotes diversity. We actively encourage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders, people of all backgrounds, ages, sexual orientation, and those with Disability to apply.