Web Application Developer
Chesapeake Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve (CBNERR-VA) exhibits leadership in coastal zone management through innovative estuarine and coastal watershed science and education programs that promote natural-resource stewardship and science-based solutions to complex socioecological challenges.
CBNERR-VA mission is to provide technical leadership and scientific expertise to further VIMS and CBNERR-VA objectives of research, advisory services, and education in the field of Marine Science.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is among the largest marine research and education centers in the United States.
Located along the glistening beaches of Gloucester, Virginia, VIMS provides research, education, and advisory services to government, citizens, students, and industry in coastal oceans and estuary science. Transforming data into policies, students into leaders, and theories into tangible change for solutions to global problems and to restore marine life.
The Chesapeake Bay National Estuary Research Reserve (CBNERR) Center of VIMS is seeking a talented Web Application Developer to join our team of esteemed professionals for a unique opportunity to contribute to the interface between science and the community with real impact on the Chesapeake Bay and its watershed while maintaining the autonomy and flexibility to pursue creative data solutions.
This position leverages a supportive team-oriented work environment in an academic setting, with opportunities for professional development, and field and lab experiences. Utilizing skills in web development and database scripting, the Web Application Developer will contribute to the design, development and maintenance of Environmental Data Center database and web application platforms .The position will focus on the Chesapeake Monitoring Cooperative’s (CMC) Data Explorer application (https://cmc.vims.edu) that serves to centralize data products associated with community scientist water quality monitoring efforts throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Designs, constructs, maintains, and deploys the CMC Data Explorer web application using a variety of tools (eg. Python, Flask, Vue.js, Postgresql, etc) in collaboration with the Environmental Data Center Manager.
- Contributes to and helps maintain the CMC Data Explorer code source control and repository (eg. GitHub).
- Monitors and interfaces with the CMC Data Explorer’s associated database, including the execution of bulk create, read, edit and delete functions as requested by CMC team members.
- Works cooperatively with the Environmental Data Center Manager on creative data-related solutions in alignment with Environmental Data Center goals.
VIMS is a proud division of William & Mary; a world-class University. Visit the following link to learn more about benefits of employment: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent combination of education with quantitatively rigorous coursework, and or experience directly related to the position. COMPETENCIES:
- Background or training in web application development
- Exposure to database scripting languages (eg. SQL, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- Interest in on-going professional development to keep pace with advancing technology needs in support of web application development and database management
- Possess interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a technical team
EXPERIENCE: Experience with developing code-based solutions for data-related problems
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related degree or equivalent professional experience
- Strong web application development skills and experience with supporting platforms (eg. ASP.NET, Django, Flask, etc.)
- Excellent database management background and experience with supporting scripting languages (eg. SQL PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience with the development of data driven web applications, including the production of web-based data management systems
- Ability to monitor and fine tune database and web application performance
- Proficiency in the development of modern user interfaces, including features such as data dashboards, data visualizations, data query tools, or interactive maps
- Familiarity with source control (eg. Git)
- Experience with modern front-end frameworks (eg. Angular, Vue, React, etc.)
- Experience with interactive data visualization libraries (eg. Leaflet, Plotly, D3, etc.)
- Experience with scientific data structures
- Familiarity with web application deployment to virtual servers
EXPERIENCE: Significant experience in database and web application development, including user interface design.
Advertised Pay Range$60,000 - $72,000, commensurate with experienceDepartment151100 CBNERRVALocationVIMS - GloucesterIs the position remote work eligible?Hybrid (works remotely at least 1 day per week but not full-time)Remote Work Disclaimer
Remote work eligibility is not guaranteed and is subject to approval. Employee eligibility depends on the likelihood of the employee succeeding in a remote work arrangement and the supervisor’s ability to manage remote workers. Departments and/or Human Resources may amend, alter, change, delete, or modify eligibility.
University Salary Range: U11
Job Open Date: 07/06/2022
Review Begin Date: 07/20/2022
Job Close Date: 08/06/202
Employment Category: Full Time Operational
Position Term:12 Month - Restricted
Conditions of Employment
- This position is restricted to availability of funding.
- This position may require additional hours beyond the typical work week to include evenings and weekends, in order to meet the center’s business needs.
William & Mary and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Background Check Statement
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Benefits Summary Statement
William & Mary offers our employees a full array of benefits including retirement, health insurance with options for expanded dental and vision along with group and optional life insurance with coverage for spouse and children, flexible spending accounts, and an EAP (Employee Assistance Program).
Our employees enjoy additional university benefits such as educational assistance, professional development, wellness benefits, and a robust holiday schedule. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- This position offers a hybrid remote work scheduled; with a combination of in office and remote days each week. Are you available for in-office work?Yes No
- For a telecommute remote work schedule, how many days are you able to work in the office.(Open Ended Question)
- If you are not already in the local area, are you willing to relocate?”I’m already in the local area I am willing to relocate for this position I am not willing to relocate
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Other Doc