Director of Environmental and Open Space Planning
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
WRA is an employee-owned environmental consultancy. We are a tenacious team of planners, engineers, and scientists, and we aim to leave the lands we love better than we found them.
Our clients and partners hire us because we’re skilled at navigating through challenging projects involving wildlands, parks, community spaces, and associated infrastructure. We bring over four decades of expertise, long-standing relationships, and connections to our local communities to make sure that projects are pursued in responsible ways where both people and the environment thrive.
As an organization, we believe that independence and interdependence are not mutually exclusive. We invest in systems, processes, and employee programs to support our staff’s collective engagement and success. At the same time, we encourage our employees to operate with an ownership mindset, taking responsibility for outcomes and being true to our commitments.
We are looking for an ambitious, seasoned professional to provide strategic leadership and oversight of our Environmental Planning and Public Access Planning teams. This person will grow and diversify our client base and seek out new opportunities to expand our planning practice. You will work directly with the company’s leadership team to develop and implement a strategy to grow the team in both scale and services. In addition, you will have the freedom to leverage your qualifications and those of the organization to develop business in areas of your own personal interest. An important role for this position is serving as a mentor to our staff as they develop their technical expertise and leadership skills.
In this role, you will have several areas of impact:
(1) CEQA team supervision and management (20%)
(2) Public Access Planning team supervision and management (10%)
(3) Principle-level technical expertise on environmental planning projects(50%)
(4) Multidisciplinary business development (20%)
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading strategic initiatives to expand and diversify WRA’s environmental and public access planning practices, participating in and sometimes leading company-wide strategic initiatives
- Taking ownership and driving the success of the environmental planning team’s financial performance and achievement of goals
- Mentoring the environmental and public access planning team’s members and providing oversight of work products that include CEQA and NEPA documents
To be successful you will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree with major course work in environmental, urban, infrastructure, or public access planning, geography, public policy, or a related interdisciplinary field.
- A minimum of ten years of experience in preparing CEQA and NEPA documents.
- Five years of experience leading a team while targeting, procuring, and retaining clients.
- Comprehensive knowledge of project management, financial management, business development, staff development, and environmental consulting industry best practices.
- Demonstrated experience as an effective team leader and communicator who proactively ensures team issues are addressed, and who provides mentoring and coaching to foster best practices, increase staff engagement within the team and with other teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to creating a collaborative and supportive team environment that is inclusive of everyone.
- Demonstrated experience winning and working on a variety of projects including environmental planning and review, land use and community planning, infrastructure planning, and/or resiliency/sustainability. Through your work, you have developed a strong professional network of clients and teaming partners and gained experience in solving complex interdisciplinary issues on high complexity/high visibility, multi-region or multi-practice projects in multiple locations throughout California.
WRA has an established internal leveling system for our staff that maps to salary bands that have been informed by market data. Our leveling system is dependent on years of relevant industry experience, education, and the level of responsibility and autonomy at which you’re expected to operate.
*The salary range for this position is $130,000-$170,000 which represents 2 job levels that WRA is open to considering for this role. In your first conversation with our recruiter, we will discuss leveling and compensation with you to make sure that expectations are aligned. There will be opportunities to discuss this toward the end of the interview process; however, if you wish to discuss titles earlier in the interview process, please do so with your recruiter.
The position is based in one of WRA’s SF Bay Area offices, or potentially remote within California.
Who are we?
WRA’s company vision is to cultivate a sustainable future where people and the environment thrive, and that effort starts first with our staff. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and we have developed flexible policies, internal practices, and are investing in programs that prioritize learning and sustainability. We aim to create conditions that allow employees to prioritize their families, lead healthy and balanced lives, and to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We believe that by creating an exceptional workplace, our employees will be able to do their best work and be able to meaningfully contribute to the sustainability of the environment and the communities in which we live.
WRA is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse environment. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.