Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
WRA’s an employee-owned environmental consultancy. We are a tenacious team of planners, engineers, and scientists, and we aim to leave the lands we love better than we found them.
Our clients and partners hire us because we’re skilled at navigating through challenging projects involving wildlands, parks, community spaces, and infrastructure. We bring over four decades of expertise, long-standing relationships, and connections to our local communities to make sure that projects are pursued in responsible ways where both people and the environment thrive.
As an organization, we believe that independence and interdependence are not mutually exclusive. We invest in systems, processes, and employee programs to support our staff’s collective engagement and success. At the same time, we encourage our employees to operate with an ownership mindset, taking responsibility for outcomes and being true to our commitments.
Our Riverscapes and Shorelines Team is seeking a coastal or fluvial Geomorphologist to collaborate with our staff of restoration ecologists, engineers, hydrologists and landscape architects. Our ideal candidate has a passion for, and experience in, supporting and delivering projects across a broad range of project scales and complexity in locations ranging from wildlands and working lands to urban settings.
The preferred position location is flexible within the state of California. Other locations will be considered on a case by case basis. Active projects span the San Francisco Bay Area, North Coast, Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, and Southern California. In this role you will have the choice to work in person or in a hybrid position where marketing, training and project work will require travel. Field site visits will be needed during assessments, design development and construction. Field efforts will require work in remote and rugged terrain, in and around flowing or ponded water and areas impacted by wildfire.
Core areas of responsibility will include:
- Supporting stream and river restoration along with a team of dedicated river practitioners
- Informing design, restoration approach and technical insight for a variety of river and wetland projects
- Conducting geomorphic assessments and field data collection
- Training and mentoring staff with diverse skill sets and backgrounds
- Managing technical tasks and responsibilities for a variety of public and private sector projects
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A graduate degree in watershed science, geomorphology, geology or related field; or equivalent experience
- Experience and familiarity with geomorphic field data collection techniques including pebble counts, channel and floodplain morphology measurements, large wood inventories and stream stability assessments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A minimum of 6 years of professional experience
Additional, preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with post-wildfire watershed recovery
- Familiarity with sediment transport modeling
- Managing and directing the technical oversight of tasks and responsibilities for Rivescapes and Shorelines staff for a variety of public and private sector projects
WRA has an established internal leveling system for our staff that maps to salary bands that have been informed by market data. Our leveling system is dependent on years of relevant industry experience, education, and the level of responsibility and autonomy at which you’re expected to operate.
We have posted a salary range which represents 2 job levels that WRA is open to considering for this role. In your first conversation with our recruiter, we will discuss leveling and compensation with you to make sure that expectations are aligned. Additionally, while the position is being advertised as a Senior Geomorphologist, based on leveling conversations, we may determine that Geomorphologist is the appropriate title for you. There will be opportunities to discuss this toward the end of the interview process; however, if you wish to discuss titles earlier in the interview process, please do so with your recruiter.
*The salary range for this position is $95,000 - $140,000.
Who are we?
WRA’s company vision is to cultivate a sustainable future where people and the environment thrive, and that effort starts first with our staff. We are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment, and we have developed flexible policies, internal practices, and are investing in programs that prioritize learning and sustainability. We aim to create conditions that allow employees to prioritize their families, lead healthy and balanced lives, and to bring their authentic selves to work every day. We believe that by creating an exceptional workplace, our employees will be able to do their best work and be able to meaningfully contribute to the sustainability of the environment and the communities in which we live.
WRA is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a diverse environment. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.