Senior Corporate Engagement Officer
Reporting to: Programme Head
Monthly salary: €3,622 – €6,048 EUR
Contract type: Fixed term contract for one year, with expectation of extension
Working hours: Full-time (36 hours)
Candidate level: Experienced non-manager
At Wetlands International, we are dedicated to safeguarding and restoring wetlands so that these unique habitats are treasured and nurtured for their beauty, the life they support and the resources they provide. We work to conserve and restore diverse wetland systems in all parts of the world, including mangroves, peatlands, and freshwater wetlands. To make a global difference, we seek to inspire and mobilise society to act and influence levers of change.
In our Coasts and Deltas work, we have developed a diverse and expanding portfolio of projects and programmes on a global scale. Our Coasts and Deltas team stood at the basis of the Global Mangrove Alliance and the Global Mangrove Watch, paving the way for the ambitious Mangrove Breakthrough call for action with the UN Climate Champions. Furthermore, we played a central role in the Building with Nature Indonesia programme that won a UN World Restoration Flagship Award. This successful programme stood at the basis of Building with Nature Asia. This groundbreaking and long-term initiative, developed with a network of public and private sector partners, promotes large-scale adoption of naturebased solutions in water engineering across Asia, focusing on both rural and urban environments.
Through our collaborative efforts and multidisciplinary approach, we strive to implement innovative and sustainable solutions that address the complex challenges faced by coastal regions and deltas. By harnessing the power of partnerships and networks, our Coasts and Deltas team aims to make a meaningful and lasting impact on coastal ecosystems, benefiting both nature and communities that depend on them.
As a Senior Corporate Engagement Officer, your primary role is to drive the development and management of our vital corporate partnerships and associated engagement with the wider water sector. These partnerships are focused on integrating nature-based solutions into mainstream marine and water engineering practices. By doing so, you will contribute to the advancement of efficient and sustainable hydraulic infrastructural designs through the utilisation of natural ecological processes.
In this position, you will collaborate closely with teams throughout the global Wetlands International network. You will work to expand and strengthen existing partnerships and consortia, while also taking the initiative to develop and represent the Building with Nature programmes. This may involve tasks such as crafting compelling business cases, formulating proposals, and engaging in negotiation processes to establish partnership agreements, often in international and national contexts that require sensitivity and diplomacy. Given your experience and expertise, you may also lead, or provide support to, the development of technical guidelines, translating science and disclosing best practices for coastal zone managers. For instance, you could contribute to the creation of guidelines regarding the implementation of the Building with Nature approaches for coastal protection. Your knowledge and insights will be instrumental in shaping and disseminating best practices within the field.
In summary, as a Senior Corporate Engagement Officer, you will play a crucial role in driving our exciting corporate partnerships, promoting nature-based solutions, and contributing to the development of technical guidelines. Your efforts will contribute to the integration of sustainable practices in marine and water engineering, ultimately fostering a more resilient and ecologically conscious approach to hydraulic infrastructure.
- You will be responsible for managing and nurturing relationships with the public private Ecoshape consortium.
- As a relationship manager, you will adhere to our corporate engagement policy and standards, managing risks and evaluating performance to ensure positive impact is achieved.
- You will have the capacity to develop, initiate, and represent programmes or Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) that emerge from these collaborations.
- You will leverage your influence and network within the Wetlands International (WI) network to mobilise teams and garner support for the programmes and initiatives. This will involve effective communication, coordination, and collaboration with teams across the WI network.
- Given the potentially sensitive international settings in which you will operate, your role requires diplomatic capabilities. You will navigate diverse cultural and political contexts with tact, sensitivity, and a nuanced understanding of the dynamics involved.
- Your role will involve strategic planning and analytical thinking to identify opportunities, assess risks, and formulate effective strategies for successful programme implementation.
- Your networking skills will be crucial for building and maintaining partnerships, both internally within WI and externally with relevant stakeholders. Your structured approach will help ensure efficient coordination and organisation of activities.
- Your expertise lies in engineering or ecology/earth sciences, and you have an affinity for Naturebased Solutions (NBS) and/or Building with Nature.
- You are knowledgeable in corporate Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) performance and can apply this expertise to support the goals of the collaborations.
- As a senior-level professional, you will bring experience and leadership to your role. Your programme management skills will be instrumental in overseeing and coordinating complex initiatives.
- Furthermore, you may also have the potential to facilitate the development of the coastal defence module of the Mangrove Guidelines, demonstrating your versatility and potential to contribute to multiple areas of expertise.
As an individual, you embody a proactive and energetic approach, driven to take initiative and seize opportunities. You possess an excellent understanding of the priorities and needs of the private, public, and non-profit sectors, including their environmental performance considerations. With your experience of working across different cultures, you are adept at navigating diverse contexts and managing sensitive partnerships.
Your natural diplomatic skills enable you to engage effectively with stakeholders and cultivate successful collaborations. You are comfortable handling complex relationships and fostering mutually beneficial outcomes.
With a background in engineering, ecology, or earth science, you bring a deep understanding of Nature-based Solutions (NBS) to the table. Your expertise in this field is supported by several years of proven experience, allowing you to contribute valuable insights and drive impactful initiatives. You possess the ability to connect strategic vision with practical implementation on the ground, bridging the gap between ideas and tangible outcomes. Your international network of partners is a valuable resource that you inspire and mobilise towards a common goal.
As an analytical thinker, you will approach challenges with a structured mindset, allowing you to analyse situations and develop well-grounded solutions. You rely on hard data to support your assertions, presenting information in a compelling manner that resonates with investors and stakeholders alike.
Overall, you bring a unique combination of energy, expertise, diplomacy, analytical thinking, and structured work approach to your role. Your ability to link strategic vision with practical implementation, backed by a strong international network, positions you as an influential advocate for Nature-based Solutions and a catalyst for positive change in the environmental field.
Skills and expertise
- M.Sc., Degree or Higher in a relevant scientific discipline. Examples of relevant disciplines include biology, geography, environmental science, or environmental management.
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant working experience in an international context.
- At least 3 years of experience working in either an NGO or corporate environment.
- Experience working abroad with communities in diverse cultural settings.
- Significant skills and experience in programme development and project management.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, with a particular emphasis on excellent written English.
- Knowledge of additional languages, especially Dutch and French, is advantageous.
- Ability to approach problems and situations from a comprehensive perspective, considering multiple factors and potential outcomes.
- The skill to prioritise the needs and satisfaction of clients, whether they are external partners, stakeholders, or internal team members.
- The capacity to navigate situations where rules or guidelines may have room for interpretation.
- Skill at creating alliances and establishing strong relationships with diverse stakeholders, strategic partners, and networks.
- A high level of expertise and authority in the field of wetland management and development.
- Recognition of the value of collaboration and you actively seek opportunities to foster teamwork. By harnessing the collective strengths of your colleagues and partners, you are able to achieve more impactful outcomes.
- Demonstrable leadership skills in empowering and inspiring your team members. You provide them with the support, resources, and autonomy they need to excel in their roles and contribute to the organisation’s success.
- You will uphold and promote the values and ethics of the organisation, serving as a role model for others. Your actions align with the principles and standards set by the organisation, reinforcing its positive reputation.
- A proactive mindset, taking initiative and anticipating opportunities or challenges. Rather than waiting for situations to arise, you actively seek out ways to drive progress and make a positive impact.
- Partnering. Sets up an infrastructure that supports effective partner arrangements (e.g., principles and frameworks for assessing the value of partnerships; expert assistance in aspects of partnering).
- Networking / Relationship Building. Building and actively maintaining working relationships and/or networks of contacts to further the organization’s goals.
- Organizational and Environmental Awareness. Achieves solutions acceptable to varied parties based on understanding of issues, climates and cultures in own and other organizations.
- Initiative / Proactive. Fosters an environment that anticipates and acts upon potential threats and/or opportunities.
- Planning and organizing, an individual who adapts to large, complex and/or frequent changes. Ability to get things done under pressure (result oriented), while maintaining oversight and planning.
How to apply
The deadline for the application is 29 February 2024.