Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
We are looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our team as we build new software products to help the maritime shipping industry lower carbon emissions with better weather data. Wayfinder, our dynamic voyage optimization application, runs on board the largest shipping vessels in the world and provides critical decision-making context for sea captains as they navigate the world's oceans. It also empowers Shoreside teams working to improve voyage profitability and integrate technologies to decarbonize their operations.
As a Product Designer you will collaborate with a top-notch team of PMs, engineers, ocean scientists, and routing specialists to deliver a world-class voyage optimization and emissions management solution. You’ll drive not only the visual design of the product, but also its functionality and purpose. You are equally experienced leading user research engagements with customers and breaking down complex design tasks to ensure timely, quality delivery. Our success comes from understanding client and business needs, partnering effectively, simplifying complexity, and producing code-ready design assets.
This position is located in San Francisco, working a hybrid schedule (3+ days/week) out of our Pier 28 office and reporting to our Head of Product. We are not open to remote work candidates at this time.
Impact you’ll own
- Collaborate with product and engineering to design end-to-end experiences that balance customer needs, engineering complexity, and business strategy
- Translate abstract concepts into simple and elegant designs expressed in sketches, diagrams, rapid prototypes and final design executions
- Lead user research and usability sessions with customers and prospects to explore workflows, uncover needs, and refine product design and direction
- Create strategic design deliverables such as strategy decks, customer journeys, future experiences and evangelize these cross-product "blueprints" across teams
- Contribute to the creation of visions ("north stars") that make strategy concrete
- Drive the evolution of our design practices, tools, and methods towards the maturity of our organization
- Drive continuous improvement in your work and with your teams; seek and find new methods and practices that lead to greater impact and value
- 5+ years of professional experience in a Product Design/UX role, ideally across large and small organizations
- A portfolio of past work including concepts, ideation, flows and completed designs and final deliverables that demonstrate clear design thinking and craftsmanship
- Experience in leading large creative projects from start to finish, ensuring timely and impactful outcomes
- Strong demonstration of design thinking skills, use of modern design best practices and ability to create innovative and meaningful experiences that deliver user value and business results
- Ability to clearly communicate decisions to leadership while partnering at all stages of the process from planning to results
- Strong analytical skills, use qualitative and quantitative data to guide design decisions
- Passion and enthusiasm for your craft and aspiration to excellence
- Previous design experience for mapping, Geographic Information System, Business Intelligence, or insights tools
- Understanding of oceanography and/or meteorological data
Estimated Salary Range
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.