Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
You are a diligent and organized person who is passionate about the ocean, and excited at the prospect of joining a small fast-moving team in this domain. You’re generally comfortable with technology and computer systems–maybe you’re a spreadsheet wizard, are familiar with no-code tools like ReTool, Notion and maybe even have a little coding experience. Most importantly–you’re highly organized, have an excellent ability to focus, and exhibit careful attention to detail.
You will be working with Sofar’s Wayfinder team to perform a number of mission-critical operational tasks. Examples include ship routing support, critical operational tasks for data and service products, helping the ocean science team wrangle new data sources for analysis, and helping to improve our internal tooling. It is important that you have strong time management skills, a proven ability to work independently when needed, and are comfortable making decisions.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Previous experience in meteorology or maritime related background
- Bachelor’s degree in oceanography, climatology, and/or geography.
- Experience working in the shipping or maritime industry, specifically with ship or weather routing
- Experience with observation and forecast data including WaveWatch III, HYCOM, and ECMWF.
- Strong understanding of mid and long-range forecasting and weather patterns
- Comfortable with data analysis, modern web applications, and python
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, having communicated with customers around the globe
- Ability to work weekend rotations (days are compensated back during the week)
- A passion for and/or connection to the oceans
- Data visualization skills
- Ability to speak multiple languages
- Experience working with team members across time zones
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.
Something looks off?