Senior Mooring and Cable Engineer
Education Required: Master of Science in applicable field of engineering (i.e., Ocean Engineering, Naval Architecture, Mechanical Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering, Materials Science)
Position Start: ASAP
About Principle Power
Principle Power is a leading global technology and services provider for the floating offshore wind energy market. The WindFloat®, the company’s globally and proven floating platform technology, enables offshore wind turbines to be sited in any water depth or seabed condition, unlocking offshore wind potential worldwide and allowing projects to harvest the best wind resources. Principle Power acts as a trusted partner to developers, independent power producers, utilities, and EPCs, supporting its customers throughout the entire lifecycle of their projects. With 105 MW of cumulative capacity in operation or under advanced development and a multi-GW commercial pipeline globally, Principle Power is the market leader in floating offshore wind technology.
In the context of our multiple worldwide projects on the next generation of WindFloat® platforms, we want to reinforce our European team, based in Lisbon and Aix-en-Provence, with a Senior Mooring and Cable Engineer.
The Mooring and Cable Group splits its focus between the execution of engineering activities in support of current commercial projects and the execution of R&D studies to optimize the performance and ultimately reduce the cost of the WindFloat technology for future projects while maintaining the reliability of the overall technology.
The Mission of the Mooring and Cable Group is to provide reliable station-keeping solutions to the WindFloat technology deployment around the world, as well as reliable transmission of the renewable energy produced by the assets.
Within this group, the Senior Mooring and Cable Engineer is capable to carry out engineering work with minimum guidance. This position reports to the Mooring and Cable Lead Engineer. However, the engineer in this position can carry the supervision of engineering work as delegated by the Lead.
- Define and execute design methodologies to provide reliable technical solutions for station-keeping solutions and subsea power transmission systems applied to Principle Power floating offshore wind projects around the world.
- Participate in the production of technical documentation to external parties, mainly clients, classification societies, and suppliers.
- Support discipline technical improvements through technical involvement in major commercial projects, R&D initiatives, as well as through the mentoring of other engineers of the Group.
- Assume ownership of technical interface to internal parties and external entities.
- Ensure quality work products on projects by application and improvement of QAQC processes.
- Collect and analyze the return of experience in deployed units to drive technical improvement on next generations of floating offshore wind units.
- Maintain Group at the cutting edge of the state of the art through active technical watch (newsletters, training, seminars, conferences, and workshops).
- Master of Science or above in a relevant field of engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Naval Engineering, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in the design of mooring and/or cable systems for pre-FEED/FEED/Detailed design.
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience working with tools such as OrcaFlex and openFAST or equivalent software.
- Advanced proficiency with FAST, Orcaflex/Deeplines, Matlab/Python, and Microsoft Office.
- Comprehensive experience in performing mooring and/or cable analysis, design, and engineering deliverables.
- Proven technical skills in the field of mooring and/or cable systems. Hydrodynamics and/or aerodynamics.
- Proven analytical skills.
- Meticulousness and persistence.
- Ownership of the technical solutions proposed.
- Proven reporting skills in English, both oral and written.
- Self-motivated team player.
- Proven ability to work in multicultural and diverse environments
- Experience in offshore work.
The preferred candidate will have
- Interest in witnessing fieldwork to gather feedback
- Interest in renewables and technical innovation
- Flexibility to travel
- Experience working in a fast paced environment
- Be eligible to work in the required location