Open Ocean Robotics
About Open Ocean Robotics
Operating on the ocean around the world from Victoria BC, Open Ocean Robotics is a rapidly growing start-up transforming how we understand our oceans through better data. We are leaders in solar-powered autonomous boats, also called Uncrewed Surface Vehicles (USVs), that voyage across a wide variety of challenging ocean environments.
We’re driven by a pioneering spirit to push boundaries and make the seemingly impossible possible. Together, we can achieve that goal, growing our team of highly skilled people and offering you the opportunity to tackle big challenges with solutions that make a difference.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We encourage applicants who reflect diversity in thinking and background as we continue to develop our culture of inclusiveness for all.
We’re on a quest to find a USV Pilot to join our Ocean Services team to operate our USVs, plan missions, and execute deployments globally. If you’re passionate about the oceans and interested in being part of a team dedicated to learning more about the seas using sustainable, affordable, and safe techniques, we’d love to hear from you.
- Manage USV deployments including planning, execution, and logistics
- Ability to travel internationally to support USV operations worldwide
- Operate the USV, including transportation, deployment, retrieval and mission control
- Troubleshoot and deal with maintenance and USV repair issues
- Operate the crewed support boat and ensuring adherence to safety protocols
- Write detailed field and project reports and work with project managers to support ongoing program activities
- Ability to perform shift-work (i.e., 24/7 operations) remotely
- Obtain the necessary approvals and coordinate with local authorities including Transport Canada, Coast Guard, harbour authorities, etc.
- Collect oceanographic and meteorological data
- Participate in training workshops and the advancement of materials
- Collaborate with engineering and manufacturing departments to improve new builds and test sensor integrations
- Collaborate with sales and project managers to estimate effort/budget for new projects
- Liaise with stakeholders and customers, including taking point with particular projects and/or groups
- Educate and inform general audiences as to our mission, goals, and technologies