Northeast Asia Fisheries Director
Location: Remote, based in the Americas, East Asia, Southeast Asia or Oceania
Lead O2’s diverse fisheries and seafood sustainability initiatives and partnerships across Northeast Asia, with an important focus on large-scale fisheries and their supply chains, and actively promoting the development of improved domestic fishery management systems of the region’s countries. This is an extremely unique opportunity to maintain, adapt and grow an exciting and diverse regional fisheries sustainability initiative with the potential for profound global impact. O2’s sustainability programs include environmental and social responsibility and also recognize the importance of economic enabling conditions. The current focus of these programmatic activities is on improved sustainability of tuna longline fisheries conducted by Northeast Asian countries; for instance, actively working with industry, government and NGO partners toward improved transparency and accountability of at sea fishing operations through effective on-water observation with electronic monitoring systems. O2’s engagement in domestic fisheries sustainability work in China, South Korea and Taiwan is expanding, as well as dimensions of our distant water fishery efforts beyond longline tuna. The Northeast Asia Fisheries Director will manage staff in South Korea and Taiwan, as well as strategic partnerships with colleague organizations in Japan and China.
The Director is responsible for leading programmatic strategy development, building key relationships with various partners and stakeholders throughout relevant international seafood supply chains to create successful enabling conditions for mission delivery, playing a key role in required fundraising, working actively and closely with the team on tactical and effective program implementation, representing O2 as a regional and global thought leader in this programmatic space, and managing programmatic budgets.
The position is a member of O2’s leadership team and contributes to integrated strategy and budget development across all teams and work streams within the organization. O2’s collaborative and practical problem solving approach includes working with a variety of teams, both inside and outside of O2. The person in this position should be adaptable and comfortable with uncertainty because we work on challenging issues and fisheries with diverse stakeholders, including seafood businesses, fishers, academia, NGOs and government.
- Adapt and grow an effective long-term programmatic strategy, working very closely and actively with team members to support excellent project implementation and deliver mission impact
- Maintain and build key relationships — regionally and internationally — necessary to create support, demand and other enabling conditions for effective program outcomes
- Play a lead role in raising philanthropic and earned income necessary to support program strategies and activities
- Effectively manage and empower team members; prudently steward and manage budgets
- Be a champion and model of O2’s organizational equity centered culture in both internal and external relationships
- Be a productive organizational team leader within the leadership team and across the organization