Position Announcement: Executive Director
Compensation: $145,000-$155,000 annually with a comprehensive benefits package
Position Type: Virtual, with significant domestic and international travel required
Location: United States or Canada, with a preference for Pacific Standard Time based candidates and further preference for those based in the Pacific Northwest region of North America
Deadline for Application Materials: November 30 at 5pm PST
The Executive Director Opportunity at Ocean Outcomes:
Ocean Outcomes seeks the next Executive Director to lead our dynamic, international organization into its second decade as we work globally to develop and implement creative solutions towards more sustainable, socially-responsible fisheries and seafood production. The challenges are formidable but the need for progress and successes is even greater. We aspire to work hand-in-hand with fisheries, aquaculture producers, seafood companies, international NGOs, government representatives, and local stakeholders to ensure:
- Ocean resources are abundant and sustainably harvested;
- Fishers are responsible stewards of the resources on which they depend;
- Seafood supply chains are transparent and legal;
- Fishing communities and fishery-based livelihoods flourish; and
- Fishery management and ocean policy are innovative and grounded in sound science.
The ideal candidate should have deep knowledge of sustainability within the fisheries and seafood industry or other food production sectors, aspire to support thriving communities, and have a vision for how these can be improved in the future. The candidate should have good connections across these sectors, empathy for people in all parts of the seafood supply chain, integrity in communication, and proven fundraising skills, particularly with foundations. The person must be a good listener, bringing strong interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, and collaborative leadership to the team. We are seeking someone who will increase impact by growing revenue through maximizing both earned income and philanthropic opportunities.
Joining Ocean Outcomes means becoming a part of a passionate and dedicated team of professionals that take pride in making a meaningful impact in the world of fisheries sustainability through collaborative engagement, partnerships, science, and more effective, equitable governance.
About Ocean Outcomes:
Ocean Outcomes (O2) is a fully virtual organization with administrative operations based out of the Pacific Northwest in the United States. We are a small global team committed to incorporating justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in both our internal and external work. Our organizational culture, strategies and approach to our work emphasize equity, empowerment, authenticity and agency. We are an integrated, collaborative team working on a foundation of transparency and trust, which we bring with authenticity and humility to our co-workers, our partnerships and in the places we work. Join us and help improve the sustainability of seafood production and the collective well being of the oceans and people who depend on them.
Qualifications, Experiences and Capacities
After surveying Ocean Outcome’s Board and staff about what they want to see in the next Executive Director, we have determined that a successful candidate will have the following skills:
- A lifelong learner with a passion for and personal alignment with the mission, including applied experience in the fisheries, seafood and/or ocean conservation sector(s).
- A systems-level thinker, interested in innovation and impact in the sectors in which Ocean Outcomes operates.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to applying a strong lens of equity centered values to their work, including building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- A proven track record in fund development through grants and individual donor solicitation that builds on and enhances community relationships.
- Demonstrated capacity to connect with funders, individual donors, and seafood industry companies to present a compelling vision of Ocean Outcomes.
- The ability to clearly express themselves and give and receive constructive feedback, facilitate an open, professional, and collegial atmosphere with staff, Board, and community partners.
- Proven strength in financial management and oversight of complex budgets.
- A collaborative leadership style that fosters teamwork, cooperation, communication, innovation, and continuous improvement.
- A strategic thinker who can develop and implement long-term plans and goals for growing impact.
- Bachelor’s degree required, and an advanced degree in environmental and natural resource conservation, fishery science, business, marketing, public relations, etc. is a plus.
Ocean Outcomes values the strengths that a diverse workforce offers and is committed to honoring the dignity of every individual. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described though feel you are capable of meeting expectations.
$145,000-$155,000 annually with a comprehensive benefits package
How to Apply
Please submit an application packet that includes:
A cover letter explaining how you have the qualifications, experience, and passion to be the next Executive Director of Ocean Outcomes. Please also include in your cover letter:
- A description of your experience with fisheries; and
- A description of how you have worked with a diverse team of collaborators to accomplish something significant.
- A detailed chronological resume that speaks to the listed qualifications.
- The names, contact information, and professional affiliations of four professional references. (We won’t contact your references until we’ve cleared it with you.)
If you have any accommodation requests you would like to make during this hiring process, please note them when submitting your application materials. We will keep your application confidential, and you will receive an acknowledgment email.
Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. PST on November 30, 2023. Interviews are scheduled to begin December 18, with successive rounds of interviews held the weeks of January 8 and January 22. We project a start date in late February/early March.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
This executive search brought to you by Page Two Partners. Executive leadership transition services, including interim leadership, executive coaching and executive searches. www.pagetwopartners.com