Ocean Vision AI Content Manager (Term)
Monterey Bay Aquariam Research Institute
The Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) along with our collaborative partners* is seeking a Content Manager for a multi-institutional, NSF-funded effort called Ocean Vision AI (OVAI). The OVAI program seeks to address the extraordinary challenge of scaling up our capacity to analyze underwater visual data through a globally coordinated network that enables effective collaboration between human operators and artificial intelligence. OVAI’s platforms, which include a Portal, an expertly curated public database FathomNet, and community science game FathomVerse, will achieve this through application of principles in data science, human-computer interaction, and community engagement. OVAI will accelerate ocean discovery, inform all sectors of the Blue Economy, and lead to effective and sustainable marine stewardship. The Content Manager will report to MBARI Principal Engineer Kakani Katija (Bioinspiration Lab), who is the lead Principal Investigator (PI) for OVAI.
MBARI was founded by David Packard to develop and apply new methods, instruments, and analytical systems to address fundamental problems in ocean science, and to identify new directions where innovative technologies will accelerate progress. Achieving this requires a peer relationship among scientists and engineers, ready access to the sea, and effective communication with the broader oceanographic community. MBARI has an active data science and research program working on many aspects of ocean science and engineering that the successful candidate will be able to be a part of.
● Provide input and design of content (e.g., scientific, educational, community-building) to be used in FathomVerse and OVAI.
● Create and/or synthesize digital (e.g., video, imagery, audio) content for users of FathomVerse.
● Strategize and coordinate with game development studio and content sources/stakeholders on integration of content into FathomVerse.
● Coordinate and oversee multi-stakeholder video productions (e.g., documentary shorts) connecting the FathomVerse community to individuals/organizations working in the ocean sciences.
● Facilitate program activities (both in-person and online) including understanding needs of FathomVerse users.
● Together with the OVAI PI, Program Manager, and Engagement Coordinator, provide input on OVAI vision, strategy, roadmap, and goals.
● And other tasks as needed.
● A Master’s degree and 3 years of related experience (see above), or a Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of related experience is required. The degree can be in Oceanography, Marine Science/Biology, Communications, Education, or a closely related field.
● Excellent organizational skills are required, and the candidate must be able to pay attention to detail, work independently, multi-task, focus on results, and meet short term deadlines.
● Proficiency in MS Office or equivalent macOS products (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Keynote), Google (e.g., Docs, Sheets, Forms, Slides), and other collaborative products (e.g., Slack) are required. Proficiency in Adobe products (e.g., Illustrator, Photoshop) is helpful.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills that connect the scientific community with the general public.
● Travel to attend meetings, conferences, and workshops may be required.
● Ability to follow current educational and capacity-building trends regarding STEM, and enhancing diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility is preferred.
● Experience with outreach and publicity activities is desired as well.