Project Manager Consultant
Med Sea Alliance
Join the Med Sea Alliance (MSA), a new and growing campaign movement that unites 17 member organisations committed to restoring the health of the Mediterranean Sea. As the MSA’s Project Manager Consultant, you’ll contribute to our mission of protecting this biodiversity-rich region for future generations by providing strategic direction for the delivery of the objectives and effective management of the MSA’s project on improving fisheries transparency and governance. You will have excellent management skills capable of organising and working with a dispersed and diverse multinational team, as well as good negotiation skills and team building traits ensuring smooth cooperation among member organizations. This role will be an integral part of the MSA coordination team and, under the lead of the MSA Director, will contribute to the overall coordination of the coalition. This role offers the flexibility of remote work within a European time zone, with a preference for candidates based in the Mediterranean Coastal States.
About the Med Sea Alliance
Since 2020, the Med Sea Alliance has brought together non-government organisations and other civil society groups with a shared vision of improving the health and productivity of the Mediterranean Sea. Our goal is to transform the Mediterranean Sea from being viewed as merely a resource for endless exploitation into a cherished natural treasure that thrives with a rich and resilient ecosystem for future generations. You will become part of the Med Sea Alliance Coordination Team alongside the Director, 30×30 Program Lead and Communications Officer
As a Project Management Consultant for the Med Sea Alliance, you will primarily oversee the seamless execution of key initiatives to enhance transparency and governance in fisheries. This includes a project jointly implemented by the Environmental Justice Foundation, Global Fishing Watch, Oceana and The Nature Conservancy. The ideal candidate will possess superior project management skills, adept at monitoring progress, identifying and resolving issues promptly, and seeking ways to enhance project outcomes. Additionally, a crucial aspect of your role will be to foster a vibrant, cooperative spirit within our team, motivating members to work together towards the conservation and improvement of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Strategic Coordination:
- Coordinate projects in line with the project strategy, objectives, and available resources.
- Advise and support MSA member organisations in designing and implementing campaign strategies.
- Ensure coordination across MSA projects and alignment with the Movement Strategy, Vision, and Mission of the Med Sea Alliance.
- Support the Communications Officer in developing effective project communications.
- Project Implementation Support:
- Supports the project team by setting clear project objectives, building a workplan with a budget, and allocating roles and resources to various outcomes/outputs. Ensure that the workplan is adhered to or adjusted if needed.
- Organize and chair weekly project team calls to discuss the project’s delivery, including ensuring that deadlines and milestones are met through a weekly updated activity/approval tracking table.
- Facilitate discussion, negotiation, consensus-building and decision-making within project teams. The project partners are responsible for designing and implementing their workplan, but the guidance of the Project Manager is essential to ensure that goals are met and progress is made and tracked.
- Oversee the project budget, including creating annual budgets, monitoring expenses, and ensuring timely expenditures on planned activities.
- Identify, make agreements with and supervise external project partners, e.g. non-government organisations outside the MSA or external consultants, and draft Terms of Reference to set up contracts with support of the financial and administration teams.
- Reporting and Communication:
- Draft progress reports for the project(s), with the input and feedback of Project partners.
- Coordinate development of financial reports for project(s) with the finance and administration teams.
- Organise annual donor call, together with project partners, to discuss the project’s outcomes, challenges, and lessons learned.
- Prepare regular updates on project progress for monthly internal newsletter to update all MSA members.
- Event Coordination:
- Internally, you will support the organisation of the annual in-person MSA meetings and quarterly online MSA calls.
- Externally, you will support the projects by implementing communication campaigns around events, such as preparing conference side events.
The MSA’s Project Manager Consultant should have experience in project management, a result-oriented, collaborative and structured approach to project implementation, and eagerness to learn (from Members) how the Mediterranean Sea should be protected, along with:
- Experience: At least two years in project management roles, preferably within environmental or advocacy organisations. Excellent organizational and team leadership skills, with a collaborative and positive attitude. Strategic and pragmatic thinker, preferably with expertise in policy and advocacy. Knowledge in output, outcome, impact monitoring frameworks are preferred.
- Experience of working in partnerships: Working in coalitions or networks involving multiple stakeholders is a strong advantage. Good interpersonal and negotiation skills, applying a structured as well as flexible approach are essential.
- Education/ relevant experience: Relevant degree or experience in organisational management, public relations, environment, economics or any relevant discipline.
- Team Collaboration: Ability to work collaboratively in cross-cultural environments and coordinate with diverse teams. Experience working remotely, with a dispersed team, and across different time zones would be advantageous.
- Language Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; proficiency in one or more Mediterranean languages is advantageous.
- Passion for Conservation: Genuine interest in marine conservation, biodiversity, and environmental issues.
Contract and Fees
This role will be performed remotely within a European time zone, with a preference for candidates based in the Mediterranean Coastal States. Consultant Fees will be commensurate with experience. Contract term is typically up to one year with potential to extend for a similar term.
Selected candidates will undergo a multi-step evaluation process, which includes:
- Initial Interview: This brief screening call is intended to assess the suitability of your skills and experience for the role. During this call, you can share examples of project management roles and describe how you work with teams to achieve results in previous roles.
- Administrative Call: During this call, compensation details, including rates/fees, will be discussed.
- Second Interview: A shortlist of candidates will be invited for more in-depth interviews with 2-3 team members. This interview may also involve preparing and discussing a presentation.
To apply for the role, please submit your CV, highlighting your relevant experience, and a cover letter expressing your interest in the role and how your past experience has prepared you for success in this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you feel you would be a good fit for this role but are unsure if you meet every single requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply.
We would like to fill this role as soon as possible and will consider incoming applications until the 9th of January, 2024. We therefore recommend that you apply in good time before the deadline. Screening calls and interviews with selected candidates will be scheduled during the second week of January.
We look forward to learning more about you and your qualifications!