30×30 Mediterranean Program Lead
Med Sea Alliance
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced 30×30 Mediterranean Program Lead to spearhead our ambitious mission of advancing the 30×30 target in the Mediterranean Sea. Join us in our quest to protect and restore one of the world’s most biodiversity-rich regions while leaving a lasting legacy for future generations.
About Med Sea Alliance
At the forefront of a new and growing campaign movement, the Med Sea Alliance brings together non-government organizations and networks with a shared vision of improving the health and productivity of the Mediterranean Sea. Our goal is to transform the Mediterranean from a resource subject to endless exploitation into a cherished natural treasure that thrives with a rich and resilient ecosystem for future generations to come. The Med Sea Alliance brings together 16 member organizations. You will become part of the Med Sea Alliance Coordination Team, which consists of the Managing Director, Communications & Partnership Director and Project Manager.
As the 30×30 Mediterranean Program Lead, you will play a pivotal role in designing and executing a comprehensive program to achieve our core objectives. Your leadership and expertise will drive progress toward ensuring that:
- 10% of the Mediterranean Sea is highly protected by 2030;
- 30% of the Mediterranean Sea is protected by 2030, and this 30% only includes priority habitats;
- existing and new MPAs have management plans and adequate measures that are properly enforced and funded.
- Program Planning: You are responsible for developing a strategic plan for 30×30 for the program, setting goals, and defining the scope of work. This includes determining the program’s objectives, deliverables, timelines, and resource requirements, leveraging the local knowledge and specific competence of our member organizations and external partners in the Mediterranean region.
- Program Development: Identify and cultivate new opportunities for 30×30 campaigns in Mediterranean countries and high sea areas, as well as develop persuasive project proposals to secure funding from donors for new campaigns. You design cross-cutting work (e.g., socio-economic analysis) to support all 30×30 campaigns at national and international levels and build thematic work packages.
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation: Provide strategic guidance to, and foster collaboration between, ongoing campaigns to strengthen effective policy/advocacy and communication plans. At the moment, campaign coordinators have started 30×30 campaigns have started in Spain and the Strait of Sicily with member organizations and external partners.
- Leading a 30×30 Movement: Through your own leadership style, you foster an agile work environment and build trust amongst member organizations and external partners. This involves assigning responsibilities, providing guidance and support to campaign teams, and seeking potential new member organizations or external partners, particularly in the Southern and Eastern shores of the basin. If necessary, you build capacity training on campaigning on 30×30.
- Budgeting and Financial Management: As the Program Lead, you handle the budgeting and financial aspects of the program. This involves creating and managing the program budget, monitoring expenses, ensuring financial accountability, and seeking funding opportunities or sponsorships.
- Reporting and documentation: You prepare regular reports on the program’s status, by developing a 30×30 Dashboard to track progress in Mediterranean countries and high seas areas. You report status, achievements, challenges, and lessons learned to member organizations and external partners and develop progress reports for donors.
- Stakeholder Engagement: You engage with various stakeholders involved in the program, such as member organizations, external partners, donors, or government officials. Align strategies and build synergies with member organizations and external partners working on 30×30 in the Mediterranean to catalyze work and avoid duplication.
- External representation: You represent the 30×30 Mediterranean Program at international forums, serving as the main spokesperson in events, meetings, and media interviews.
A seasoned program manager with a proven track record of successfully leading international campaigns, projects, or initiatives (minimum 7 years of experience).
- Experience in Program Management: Excellent organizational and leadership skills, significant experience in program management or project management (minimum 5 years of experience). Demonstrated success in leading teams and delivering programs to achieve impactful results.
- Education and Expertise: A university degree in marine/environmental science or policy, nonprofit management or public administration, or a related discipline. You have expertise in policy/advocacy, biodiversity, and marine protected areas fields, preferably in marine policy frameworks in the Mediterranean.
- Leadership and Coordination Skills: Experience in leading teams or movements in cross-cultural environments, and overseeing multiple projects simultaneously. Demonstrated skills in strategic thinking, problem-solving, team building, conflict resolution, and decision-making are essential.
- Communication and Relationship Building: Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal in English, are essential for effectively interacting with stakeholders, member organizations, and external partners. Fluency in one or more Mediterranean languages is advantageous. The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with diverse stakeholders, including funders and government officials, is highly valued.
- Work arrangements: Ability to work independently as a consultant and travel periodically (approximately 20%). Weekly update calls with the Med Sea Alliance Coordination Team.
Location, Contract, and Compensation
This position offers the flexibility of remote work within a European time zone, with a preference for candidates based in the Mediterranean Coastal States. The contract is contractual in nature, and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
The Med Sea Alliance values diversity.
Selected candidates will be invited for a short screening call, to confirm adequacy between their skills and the needs of the role. In this regard, we will ask you to prepare a presentation that will be part of the interview discussion. This will be followed by an administrative call, when compensation information will be provided. A short list of candidates will then be invited to a longer third interview, with 2-3 team members.
Please submit a CV with your relevant experiences and a cover letter conveying your interest in the position and how your previous experiences would support you to be successful in this role. Please send the documentation to email@example.com by Monday, 21 August. We look forward to getting to know more about you!