Senior Mechanical Engineer
Hefring Engineering is looking for a mechanical engineer with product development experience who is looking to put their skills to use in subsea robotics. You will work closely with the rest of the engineering team building the latest, "best-in-class" autonomous ocean glider, Oceanscout. The group has designed a single-person deployable, subsea vehicle which maneuvers using an internal buoyancy engine, shifts internal mass using multiple motors, reads and processes sensor data, and transmits information to the cloud via satellite.
You will use your talent and experience to make refinements to vehicle design, test hardware, and support the manufacturing process for Oceanscout. You will have enough latitude to work on a variety of different projects and get to experience all aspects of testing, design refinement, and production start. You will have primary responsibility for all mechanical hardware while working in a small collaborative environment with daily exposure to electrical hardware and the software that controls the glider. This role offers exciting growth potential in future new vehicle prototype designs as well as integration of new capabilities into the existing vehicle.
Your primary workplace will be our waterfront development and production facility in Gloucester, MA. You are invited to participate in field testing of the vehicle both with colleagues and also, at times, with customers.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- 5-10 years of mechanical design engineering experience, preferably in ocean sensors, marine vehicles, or the maritime industry
- Proficiency with 3D CAD, preferably Onshape or Solidworks, including finite element analysis
- Experience designing, testing, and validating complex electro-mechanical assemblies and systems including actuators and sensors
- Strong analytical problem solving skills, experience debugging product issues and developing solutions
- Working knowledge of materials (metals and plastics) and production processes such as CNC machining, injection molding
- Experience managing vendors in a global supply chain
- Demonstrated working knowledge of GD&T using ASME drafting standards including Y14.5, ability to produce and review engineering drawings, BOM etc.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced, lean environment with shifting priorities
- Strong communication skills and comfort presenting work across levels from junior engineers to senior management
- Ability to maintain system-level understanding of product while working on individual components
- US Citizenship is mandatory due to export control restrictions
Additional experience in the following areas would be of strong benefit:
- Experience working through at least one complete concept-to-manufacturing development cycle
- Experience with O-ring seals
- Experience with pressure vessels
- Experience in production environments
Personal characteristics of a successful candidate include:
- Organized and detail-oriented
- A can-do attitude and sense of urgency in bringing a highly desired technology to the user community
- Thrives in a highly dynamic, start-up environment and can extend themselves into related tasks to get the job done
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Rapid professional development and growth working in a small company with exposure to all aspects of engineering and business
- Employee training budgets
- 401k with 5% matching company contribution
- Paid vacation, holidays, and sick leave
- Health, vision, dental, and life insurance benefits paid 100% for employee
- Company outings and team building events
- Complimentary snack and beverage area