Backend developer (m/f/d)
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations. Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we make a significant contribution to preserving the function and protection of the ocean for future generations. A core research focus is on carbon dioxide removal (CDR) measures to reduce atmospheric CO2 and thus compensate for residual emissions of greenhouse gases that cannot be avoided. This is generally seen as a necessity in order to achieve the climate targets for 2050. In order to ensure the transfer of existing knowledge on CDR measures to decision-makers and thus promote the development of CDR methods, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) has pledged funding for the Carbon Removal Atlas (CDRatlas). In the CDRatlas project, an online platform will be developed where relevant information on the implementation of CDR methods will be processed, visualised and made available for open access. The CDRatlas is intended to combine solid scientific findings and concepts for the application of CDR and to implement and visualise them in an interactive and freely accessible information platform. The aim is to provide decision-makers from the fields of politics, industry, NGOs, business and science with the necessary information to carry out analyses on the potential of CDR methods and to determine the ecological and technological readiness to implement the presented measures for CDR.
The research unit Biogeochemical Modelling of the research division 2: Marine Biogeochemistry, with workplace in the Information Data and Computing Centre, is offering a position as
Backend developer (m/f/d), (CDRaltlas-Backend)
starting as soon as possible.
You will develop and maintain the infrastructure for the automated retrieval of data for the CDRatlas website, which is based on the infrastructure of the Helmholtz Earth Data Portal. This includes linking the CDRatlas with cooperating repositories as well as the development of routines for the harmonisation of data products. Furthermore, you will develop automated workflows for the retrieval and integration of data products. You will also develop interfaces to integrate scientific models for the calculation of data products between the retrieval and display of content. The work will take place in close cooperation with front- & backend developers and scientists of the CDRatlas, the Helmholtz DataHub Community Earth & Environment, the German Marine Research Alliance and members of the research initiatives CDRmare & CDRterra.
- You have a Master’s degree or Diploma in computer science, geoinformatics or a natural science or equivalent (eg. Bachelor's degree in the above-mentioned disciplines) or similar qualification/experience corresponding to the above-mentioned tasks (e.g. training as an IT specialist or other further training in IT).
- Sound experience with geodata and geoservices (e.g. GeoJSON, GeoTIFF, OGC WMS, OGC WFS)
- Sound experience in Python and in the automated processing of geodata with Python
- Sound experience with GeoServer, PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Experience in the administration and operation of geodata services under Linux
- Profound knowledge of written and spoken English and German
- Experience in the development of scientific software
- You can think analytically and act in a service and solution-oriented manner.
- You work in an agile and creative way and appreciate a dynamic working environment
- Understanding of technical and scientific issues
- You work independently and in a team-oriented manner and are open to collaboration directly with science and across teams.
- You are proficient in common techniques of agile software development in a team, such as git, automated tests, Gitlab CI.
- You have experience with Content Management Systems (CMS)
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
The position is available for 3 years (until end of project: February 28th 2027).
The salary depends on qualifications available and, depending on the tasks assigned, ranges from salary group 9a (vocational training) to salary group 13 (Master’s degree or Diploma) TVöD-Bund of the German tariff for public employees. This is a full-time position. Part-time employment is generally possible with the framework of suitable working time models.
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply. GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application for this post not later than 4th March 2024 under the following link:
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos. As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
For further information regarding the position and research unit please contact Dr. Steffen Swoboda (sswoboda(at)geomar.de). However, we will answer all your questions if you send us an e-mail to bewerbung(at)geomar.de. In doing so, please refer to the keyword “CDRatlas-Backend”.