Postdoctoral researcher position (m/f/d) in Marine Geophysics (gas hydrates)
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the leading international institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations.
The research unit Marine Geodynamics of the research division Dynamics of the Ocean Floor is offering a
Postdoctoral researcher position (m/f/d)
in Marine Geophysics (gas hydrates)
starting as soon as possible.
The researcher will explore dynamics of the gas hydrate system, including gas migration into the hydrate stability zone and the formation of concentrated gas hydrate deposits. The position will have access to high-quality geophysical datasets collected over gas hydrate accumulations on New Zealand’s Hikurangi subduction margin. Coincident geophysical datasets for the study include: long-offset industry multi-channel seismic reflection data, high-frequency seismic reflection data, four component ocean-bottom-seismometer (OBS) data and controlled-source electromagnetic data. This unique combination of datasets will be used to explore the role of gas migration into the hydrate stability zone for gas hydrate formation. A key role for the position will be imaging of the sub-seafloor by P-wave and S-wave information from newly acquired high-resolution OBS data. The work will be carried out in a diverse, international research team of excellent reputation, with links to collaborators in the U.S. and New Zealand. The researcher will publish the results in the international peer-reviewed literature and present them at international conferences.
- PhD in natural sciences with an emphasis on geophysics
- Processing of OBS data and/or multi-channel seismic data
- At least three first author publications in the peer-reviewed international geoscientific literature
- Fluency in English
- Willingness to take part in sea-going expeditions
Experience in the following fields is highly appreciated:
- Integration of different marine geophysical data sets
- Inversion of seismic data
- Experience with gas hydrate systems
- Sea-going experience
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 days of annual leave + additional time off at Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
The position is fixed term for 1 year. The salary depends on qualification and could be up to the class 13 TVöD-Bund of the German tariff for public employees. This is a full-time position. The position can be split. The fixed-term contract shall comply with Section 2 Paragraph 1 of The Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract (German WissZeitVG).
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application not later than March 12th, 2024 under the following link:
As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
For further information regarding the position and research unit please contact Dr. Gareth Crutchley (gcrutchley(at)geomar.de).
However, we will answer all your questions if you send us an e-mail to bewerbung(at)geomar.de. In doing so, please refer to the keyword ”Gas Hydrates”.
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.