Referent (m/f/d) for EU research funding
The GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the leading international institutions in the field of marine research.
GEOMAR researches the global ocean from the seafloor to the atmosphere, covering a unique spectrum of physical, chemical, biological and geological processes in the ocean.
In dialogue between science, politics and society, we enable the development of sustainable solutions and contribute significantly to preserving the function and protection of the ocean for future generations. We promote talent, innovation, diversity and creativity and engage in international exchange.
With its Strategy 2030, GEOMAR has set itself the goal of consolidating GEOMAR's vision and mission in the long term and further developing GEOMAR's strengths in order to continue to advance excellent research.
In the context of the GEOMAR 2030 Strategy, we are seeking to support research funding in the staff unit "Research Funding and Transfer" in the Directorate of GEOMAR, for the next possible date a:
Referent (m/f/d) for EU research funding
up to EG 14, full-time, permanent
- Identification of relevant funding opportunities, preparation and communication of information on current funding programmes with a focus on EU research funding
- Technical and strategic advice to scientists on European, national and international funding opportunities against the background of GEOMAR's core topics and IRFs.
- Advising the Executive Board on funding policy developments and (internal) funding strategies
- Strategic further development of research funding within the framework of the GEOMAR Strategy 2030
- Active participation in shaping the processes in the area of research funding
- Supporting scientists with funding applications, including budget preparation, writing of text modules and proofreading of applications.
- Support during the preparation of EU grant agreements (document preparation, description of action and grant agreement) and during project implementation (e.g. EU amendments).
- Communication and negotiation with project partners, the European Commission and other responsible bodies.
- Ensuring EU-specific requirements (bridging function to the administration, e.g. legal department, third-party funding team, HR department)
- Organisation and implementation of information and training courses on funding programmes and application procedures, partly in cooperation with external partners.
- Positioning of GEOMAR topics in funding-relevant consultations
- Representation of GEOMAR in relevant networks (national, international)
- Completed scientific university education, ideally in a natural science or marine science subject, preferably followed by a doctorate
- Several years of experience in the acquisition of third-party funding and EU funding advice
- Experience in structured counselling and guiding scientists in the application process
- Very good knowledge of the national and international research funding landscape, in particular relevant EU funding programmes, including the modalities for financial processing
- Business fluent in written and spoken German and English and ability to work in a team
- Willingness to travel at home and abroad is a prerequisite.
- Own experience in proposal writing and management of research and development or innovation projects preferably in a European environment
- Very good communication skills, both written and spoken, advisory and organisational skills, service orientation
- Experience in cooperative collaboration in interdisciplinary teams
- Ability to quickly familiarise yourself with new topics
- Independent, structured and thorough way of working, as well as good time management
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
Remuneration is paid up to pay group E 14 (TVöD-Bund) if the relevant requirements are met. The regular weekly working hours correspond to full-time employment. The position is divisible, flexible working time models are possible in principle.
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application for this post 03rd December 2023 under the following link:
As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
For further information regarding the position and research unit please contact (kkrueger-borgwardt(at)geomar.de).
However, we will answer all your questions if you send us an e-mail to bewerbung(at)geomar.de. In doing so, please refer to the keyword “EU- Forschungsförderung”.
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.