Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d) Biogeochemical Coastal Research
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations.
The Research Unit Marine Geosystems is offering a
Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/d)
Biogeochemical Coastal Research
starting on the 1st February 2024.
Within the BMBF (Federal Ministry of Education and Research) funded Project „Exclusion of mobile bottom-dwelling fisheries in Marine Protected Areas (MPA) in the Baltic Sea” the impact of bottom trawling on the biogeochemistry of the sea floor will be investigated. This involves several monitoring cruises in the MPAs of the German Baltic Sea. Additionally, to assess short term impacts of fishery on the sediment, an offshore trawling experiment will be conducted.
The successful candidate will be involved in the planning and data collection during the research cruises for the determination of benthic solute fluxes and sediment biogeochemistry. She:he will perform geochemical analyses onboard the research vessel and in the laboratories of GEOMAR, will conduct data interpretation, and present the results at scientific meetings. In collaboration with other project partners, the candidate will contribute to the set-up of guidelines for sustainable management of MPAs. The successful candidate will also be expected to write scientific publications and contribute to project reports.
- Diploma/ Master in natural sciences and a PhD with a focus on aquatic biogeochemistry, geosciences or related disciplines, preferably with experience in benthic biogeochemistry and reaction-transport processes.
- A strong background and practical experience in modern laboratory analytics
- Demonstrated experience in writing first author-publications with a track record in international scientific journals and conference presentations
- Willingness and capability to participate in research expeditions for several weeks at a time
- Fluency in spoken and written English with oral and written communication skills
Further desirable skills include experience in programming languages such as Matlab, R or Python and a broad interest in marine data acquisition using in situ technology. The candidate should be physically able to participate in seagoing expeditions.
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
What we also offer:
GEOMAR offers a dynamic, innovative and international research environment with an excellent infrastructure and a collaborative work culture. This provides a unique opportunity for engaged postdoctoral researchers to further develop their careers. Our Research Unit (Marine Geosystems) has modern laboratory facilities as well as state-of-the-art underwater measurement platforms and sensors.
The full-time position is funded by the BMBF and is available for 24 months. The salary depends on qualification and could be up to the class 13 TVöD Bund of the German tariff for public employees. The position cannot be split, flexible working models are generally possible.
The fixed-term contract shall comply with Section 2 Paragraph 1 of The Act of Academic Fixed-Term Contract (German WissZeitVG).
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application for this post not later than 22nd November 2023 under the following link:
As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
However, we will answer all your questions if you send us an e-mail to bewerbung(at)geomar.de. In doing so, please refer to the keyword “MGF-Ostsee-Postdoc”.
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.