Fisheries Public Policy and Data Analyst
At Causa Natura we are developing research, data, and public policy projects to generate scientific knowledge with the aim of being the benchmark think tank on environmental policy in Mexico in the coming years.
The Public Policy and Fisheries Data Analyst will be in charge of transforming information and analysis carried out by the Natural Cause Data Unit into improvement proposals to combat illegal fishing, deep-sea fishing practices or conservation. of marine ecosystems. She must analyze current policies and identify possible improvement options that allow reducing the impacts of fishing activities on marine ecosystems and must also communicate them to interested publics in the productive sector, government and the legislature.
We are looking for professionals who share the values and academic rigor of Causa Natura to help generate and promote evidence-based proposals for improving environmental management. Interested persons should be highly motivated individuals with outstanding academic and professional backgrounds in public policy and research.
Essential requirements that you must have to apply for the position:
- Bachelor's degree completed in Economics, Data Science, Maritime Sciences, Marine Biology, Oceanology, or related with quantitative bases. Master's and Ph.D. as a plus.
- Knowledge of environmental and fisheries policy, as well as fisheries management, particularly deep-sea fishing.
- Preference will be given to professionals with experience in geospatial analysis and handling large amounts of geospatial data. Programming and analysis in QGIS, R and Python and data visualization with Shiny and Tableau.
- Advanced English (oral and written communication).
- Ability to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing.
If you think you meet this profile, review the following responsibilities of the position:
- Collaborate in the analysis and interpretation of data from statistical models taking into account spatial, environmental and social variables, according to the organization's research agenda.
- Prepare policy documents with recommendations for the improvement of fisheries management aimed at decision makers in the government and the legislature.
- Prepare articles to disseminate the findings of the analyzes carried out to be published within the organization's Causa Natura Media platform.
- Support in the generation of dissemination and outreach materials for the projects, as well as in the presentations for meetings scheduled for this purpose.
- Work together with the Public Policy Unit and the Data Unit for the generation, evaluation and feedback of their processes and requested reports.
- The place of work is preferably in Mexico City. Interested people residing in other parts of the country may be considered for this remote work position if they meet the requirements.
- The contract is for 6 months in the modality assimilated to salaries with the possibility of extension subject to the renewal of the project.
- Salary remuneration according to the profile of the person and competitive in the labor market.
- The start date of activities is immediate.
How to apply:
Send a letter of intent (maximum one page), resume (maximum two pages), links to an article or work done and names and contact information of two professional references related to your area. The documentation must be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com , with the subject "Vacancy Analyst of public policy and fishing data". The vacancy will be open until a suitable candidate for the position is found.
Those selected for interview will be notified by email. At Causa Natura we are committed to offering equal opportunities during the selection process.
Causa Natura is a civil association that aims to promote greater governance of natural resources that guarantee their use with a perspective of human rights, equity, justice and sustainability. To meet this objective, Causa Natura, together with strategic partners and allies, promotes better public policies and greater citizen advocacy through applied research, investigative journalism, data science and providing spaces for dialogue and dissemination. of information and analysis on issues of public interest for the environmental agenda.