Postdoctoral Researcher (mCDR Modeling)
Boulder, CO, USA
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2023
[C]Worthy is a non-profit research organization operating like a fast-moving, deep-tech startup. Our singular objective is to enable trustworthy, transparent, science-based quantification of marine carbon dioxide removal (mCDR). We are adapting open-source oceanographic modeling and data assimilation tools — developed over decades by scientists and software engineers at public and academic institutions — to establish a fit-for-purpose system for mCDR assessments.
The [C]Worthy research and development team blends exceptional software engineering with deep expertise in oceanographic observations, modeling, and data assimilation. [C]Worthy is on the path to becoming a Focused Research Organization hosted by Convergent Research, part of the Schmidt Futures Network.
[C]Worthy seeks a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on applying oceanographic models to support ocean alkalinity enhancement field trials. The modeling systems will include regionally-nested configurations of ROMS, coupled biogeochemical modules, and explicit representations of mCDR processes. The Postdoctoral Researcher will be part of a technical team working on establishing modeling systems and workflows for specific applications related to mCDR deployments, field trials, and the development of Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) methods for mCDR. The Postdoctoral Researcher will work closely with several members of the [C]Worthy team and participate in building an inclusive, supportive, and highly collaborative work culture.
- Collaborate with other scientists and engineers to develop and apply ocean modeling and analysis systems to support ocean alkalinity enhancement field trails.
- Conduct research to establish key conceptual paradigms and methodologies underpinning market-quality methods for MRV.
- Publish results in the peer-reviewed literature and other publicly accessible venues.
- A Ph.D. in oceanography or a similar field with a strong understanding of geophysical fluid dynamics and ocean biogeochemistry.
- Experience in oceanographic modeling, preferably at coastal and regional scales.
- Strong track record of scientific research, preferably with an emphasis on numerical modeling and ocean biogeochemistry.
- Possesses a tenacious and adaptive problem solving capacity.
- Passion for [C]Worthy’s mission to enable safe and effective mCDR via improved modeling.
- Deeply curious and excited to learn new things.
- Intent on getting answers right.
- Open to admitting mistakes.
- Collaborative, helpful, open-minded, and willing to listen to other perspectives.
- Experience with advanced statistical methods, data assimilation, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning.
- Competitive salary: $83,000–$95,000 a year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Wellness benefit
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts for health care or childcare
- 401(k) retirement fund with matching employer contributions
- [C]Worthy is based in Boulder, Colorado, and seeks to build a strong collaborative team. We prefer that employees spend significant time working together in person in our Boulder office, however approval for remote or hybrid work is possible.
The Company aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.