Watertown, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
Parallel Squared Technology Institute (PTI) is a non-profit research institute aiming to catalyze a leap in protein analysis technology and use it to explore new biological frontiers. PTI supports open research and educational opportunities supporting rapid career development for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.
Why? Protein dysfunctions directly cause many diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Yet, proteins remain understudied because of technological hurdles.
How? To resolve these limitations, PTI will develop mass tags enabling a new framework for multiplexed protein analysis by mass spectrometry towards achieving 100-fold increase in throughput. Scientists at and collaborating with the institute will use these gains to directly investigate disease mechanisms and resolve problems that have proven intractable for decades. Our proof of principle technology and strategies are outlined at: parallelsq.org.
New career opportunities
Members of PTI will be supported with industry-level resources to lead research projects and disseminate their discoveries and innovations to the broader biomedical community through frequent publications, presentations, and submissions to public data portals.
- Design, prototype, implement, computational pipelines for high-throughput proteomics datasets.
- Develop and implement robust algorithms to hone in on testable hypotheses.
- Perform deep and detailed analyses for data-intensive experiments with a team to interpret and communicate results.
- Curate large-scale datasets for internal and external usage.
- Hands-on development of interactive tools for other teammates (RShiny, Python, D3).
- Collaborate with other scientists and engineers to propose experiments and contribute to development of hardware and molecular resources.
- Define new directions for technology development.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Passion for breaking barriers in computational proteomics.
- Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, statistics, mathematics, genetics, biomedical engineering, computer science, data science, molecular biology or related fields is required.
- Proven track record of developing computational analysis of proteomics data.
- Expertise with proteomics data and associated bioinformatics tools.
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.
- Proficiency with Python/R, associated analyses and visualization packages as well as command line.
- Expertise with good practices for reproducible research (git, Jupyter).
- Creative thinking, problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized with attention to detail.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, proclivity for reasoning from first principles.
- Effective communicator to experts outside of your field.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to changing projects and goals.
Who will love this job!
- You are passionate about science and technology and are eager to work in a team environment.
- You love learning new techniques, new technologies, and new concepts.
- You want an environment that will support your future plans as a scientist or engineer.
- You are committed to open science ideas and want to see your work disseminated broadly.
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave.
- Generous time off + paid holidays.
- Wellness allowance for fitness and wellness activities.
The Company aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.