Public Markets Associate
Builders Initiative/Builders Vision
About Builders Vision
Builders Vision is a family office dedicated to promoting a humane and healthy planet. Builders Vision includes a range of impact investing and philanthropic capabilities to support, seed and scale sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, and ocean health.
At Builders Vision, we are guided collectively by the belief that markets can and should benefit society and the environment and that the most successful businesses in the future will be those that are purpose driven. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are at the core of our mission to shift markets and minds for good. We believe the change we want to see toward a humane and healthy planet starts with us. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Builders Vision invests globally and at scale across public and private markets to support collective efforts to build a more humane and healthy planet. We aim for our capital to fill market gaps, catalyze additional investment and scale solutions to the most pressing problems across BV's areas of focus, and do so without compromising financial returns.
We are seeking a motivated and experienced professional to be a Public Markets Associate, reporting to the Director of Public Markets. The successful candidate will be responsible for investment research and portfolio construction analysis for public markets investments, across equities and fixed income. This will include fund manager due diligence and investment monitoring with an environmental, social and governance (“ESG”) and impact investing lens. Public markets ESG investments are made in two portfolios, one taxable and the other tax-exempt (a private foundation).
Builders Vision maintains offices in Chicago and San Francisco. The preference is for this role to be Chicago based.
The following duties are generally representative of the nature and level of work assigned but are not necessarily all-inclusive.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative assessments of ESG public markets investments, including due diligence reports and regular monitoring
- Uphold and enhance investment processes, including documentation of meetings and information management
- Source, conduct due diligence and monitor public markets (equities and fixed income) ESG and thematically aligned (e.g., clean energy, food and agriculture, oceans and aquaculture) investments
- Collaborate on the continuation of a cross-office impact measurement and management framework that incorporates ESG factors and considerations
- Conduct capital markets research and apply relevant insights to investments in the portfolios or overall portfolio strategy
- Obtain third party analysis on investment managers and funds, including operational due diligence, legal, and tax
- Take on special projects related to ESG public markets themes as necessary
- A university degree with a record of high achievement
- 5+ years of work experience in investing, manager research, and/or portfolio management
- Demonstrable interest in ESG and impact investing
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint skills
- Experience and comfort with Bloomberg, eVestment and/or Factset
- Strong verbal and written communication skills: must be able to write full investment due diligence, investment recommendations and other related investment memorandums.
- Experience and interest in researching capital market trends and data, as well as thematic research to support sector specific investments
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and multi-task
- Problem identification and resolution
- Adaptability to a rapidly changing environment, including reprioritization of responsibilities
- Ability to build relationships internally and externally
- Fluent in ESG industry trends and emerging topics
Valued Skills and Abilities
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Familiarity with data analysis, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, or general investing concepts
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability and impact investing
- Open-minded, team-oriented, and eager to learn
After initial interviews, qualified candidates will be invited (on a rolling basis until the position is filled) to complete a case study designed to assess the degree to which they meet the basic qualifications for the role. Candidates who successfully complete the case study will be invited to a final round super-day—either by video conference, or in-person if circumstances permit.
Builders Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.