Head of Stewardship
Builders Initiative/Builders Vision
Builders Vision (BV) is seeking an experienced professional to be our first Head of Stewardship. Working closely with our asset management and endowment investment teams (please see the organization’s description below), this position will expand the scope of engagement activities tied largely to our public equity investments and represent BV in the broader ecosystem of engaged asset owners. As Head of Stewardship, you will play a critical role in shaping and executing an engagement strategy for our organization and leveraging our significant investments to encourage aligned corporate behaviors and long-term value creation.
The following responsibilities are generally representative of the nature and level of work expected but are not necessarily all-inclusive:
- Partner with colleagues from across BV to develop and execute a shareholder engagement strategy for BV, including priorities and activities aligned with and in furtherance of BV objectives and informed by colleagues and external thought partners with thematic area expertise.
- Review and analyze BV’s current proxy voting process and potentially develop and implement enhanced Proxy Voting Guidelines, in consultation with BV’s investment teams and other relevant stakeholders within BV.
- Collaborate with other like-minded asset owners and organizations to encourage and reward desired corporate behaviors and actions; track and share outcomes and lessons learned with internal colleagues and external partners, using insights to iterate on engagement priorities, partners, and tools over time.
- Take a leading role to further define BV’s role and represent BV at asset owner initiatives, bringing to bear BV’s expertise and insights to inform the priorities.
- Take a leading role to further define BV’s role and represent BV in public shareholder engagement initiatives, up to and including eventually directly leading engagements.
- In parallel with manager research focused colleagues at BV, develop relationships with BV’s managers to understand their engagement agendas and activities and determine where, if, and how BV might collaborate with existing partners/stewards of our capital to further our own priorities; be recognized as a point of contact within BV for external partners and like-minded investors.
- Elevate and address challenges and industry trends in proxy voting, shareholder engagement, and advocacy and provide advice on strategic decisions to investment teams.
- Partner with BV’s internal Impact Measurement and Management team to define success and measure results of stewardship activities.
- Monitor regulatory developments and ensure compliance with regional stewardship codes.
- Lead development and production of stewardship thought leadership content.
- Represent BV as required at public events, including speaking engagements.
- Potentially help lead the identification of market gaps and opportunities, and inform the development of new, innovative public market offerings, likely in conjunction with third party managers and other sector-leading intermediaries.
- Support the successful implementation of BV’s overall approach to shifting markets and minds for good, in support of a more humane and healthy planet.
- Significant relevant work experience in the field of responsible investing or investment management, ideally investment stewardship, corporate governance, proxy voting, corporate law, or strategy consulting.
- Prior active ownership experience and knowledge of proxy voting, shareholder engagements, and ESG matters is highly valued. Experience in investor relations, public equity markets a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or other relevant graduate work highly valued.
Valued Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage high-profile engagements with senior executives or board members.
- Existing network within shareholder advocacy and stewardship community.
- Ability to build relationships internally and externally, collaborate with teams in multiple geographic locations.
- Expertise or significant interest in sustainability and ESG issues, trends, and emerging topics.
- Interest in Builders’ focus areas of sustainable food and agriculture, renewable energy, and healthy oceans.
- Track record of setting and executing strategy and long-term projects.
- Ability to tackle problems with creativity.
- Comfortable with public speaking, building and maintaining relationships.
- Familiarity with data analysis, statistics, economics, finance, accounting, or general investing concepts.
- Open-minded, team-oriented, eager to learn.
- Some travel required to meet with managers, investors, and other stakeholders.
About Builders Vision
Builders Vision (BV) is an impact platform dedicated to promoting a humane and healthy planet.
Builders Vision includes a range of philanthropic and impact investing capabilities to support,
seed and scale sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, and ocean health. Today it encompasses a philanthropic arm (Builders Initiative), a venture
and growth equity group (S2G Ventures), and an asset management team (Builders Asset
Management). We are guided collectively by the belief that markets can and should benefit
society and the environment and that the most successful businesses in the future will be those
that are purpose-driven.
Our vision is “a humane and healthy planet,” which we relentlessly pursue and advance
through our mission, “shifting markets and minds for good.”
Please submit your resume and cover letter when applying.
Builders Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.