Finance Operations Associate
Builders Initiative/Builders Vision
Classification: Full-time, EXEMPT
Position Reports to: Head of Finance & Accounting
Location: Chicago, IL
About the Builders Vision
Builders Vision is an impact platform dedicated to promoting a humane and healthy planet. Builders Vision includes a range of impact investing and philanthropic capabilities to support, seed, and scale sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, and ocean health. Today it encompasses a family foundation (Builders Initiative), a venture and growth equity group (S2G Ventures), and an asset management team (Builders Asset Management).
At Builders Vision, we are guided collectively by the belief that markets can and should benefit society and the environment and that the most successful businesses in the future will be those that are purpose driven.
Our vision is “a humane and healthy planet,” which we relentlessly pursue and advance through our mission, “shifting markets and minds for good.”
Diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are at the core of our mission to shift markets and minds for good. We believe the change we want to see toward a humane and healthy planet starts with us. We understand that diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice are long-term commitments, and while we aspire to be a catalyst for change, our journey starts from within. We are committed to learning from others and doing the work to become a more diverse, equitable, inclusive, and just organization, and will seek to promote those same values in the world around us. We know that a diverse workforce allows everyone to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to achieve the organization’s mission. We actively seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
Builders Vision is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Finance Operations Associate, reporting to the Head of Finance and Accounting, to provide operational and financial analysis support services for all aspects of the impact platform. The position will work closely with other members on the Operations and Investment teams and maintain confidentiality at all times. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the finance and accounting function in the context of building a data-driven and operationally efficient organization in support of our overall vision.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the candidate in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may evolve or change over time.
- Assist Head of Finance & Accounting, working cross-functionally with team leaders, to prepare the annual operating and philanthropic budgets and mid-year revisions.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly internal reporting of actuals against budgets to support operations and philanthropic spending.
- Prepare quarterly calculation of fees for multiple entities and review expenses incurred relative to those fee structures.
- Prepare initial analysis for finance forecasting and planning by obtaining and collating information from multiple internal and external sources.
- Proactively support internal teams through communication with third-party service providers, including preparing or reviewing documentation and maintaining correspondence, including project management of special projects.
- Serve as liaison between internal teams, the accounting team, and vendors to manage accounts payable and accounts receivable, including reviewing invoices for appropriate allocation between entities and sourcing information needed for financial analysis and planning.
- Support direct investment team with data analysis and return calculations for investor reporting.
- Coordinate with both internal departments and external partners to source investment and accounting data needed to build customized reports as needed by different stakeholders and teams.
- Assist Head of Finance & Accounting with implementing new processes, systems, and/or reporting dashboards that can help the organization with cash management, gathering tax relevant information, and information sharing.
- Other ad-hoc projects, as applicable.
Qualifications Required for Your Success
- Bachelor’s degree with a record of high achievement in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance or related field
- 4 – 5 years of work experience in public accounting and/or corporate finance with exposure to operations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, with strong skills in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with Salesforce, Slack, Box, and DocuSign a plus
- Experience in private equity/venture capital/alternative investment office not required but a plus.
- Strong analytical problem-solving aptitude with creative solutions, ability to organize work with large amounts of information efficiently, manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to professionally communicate, both in writing and verbally, with team, vendors, and third-party administrators
- Able to work as a team player, be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Open to development of skills and knowledge
Personal Attributes That Support Your Success
- Ability to act as a trusted advisor to principals and colleagues while demonstrating expertise and integrity.
- You not only are a helpful team player and show respect while collaborating with others, but also are able to work autonomously.
- You are self-motivated and results oriented, exercising sound judgment in your work.
- A lifelong learner, who is inquisitive and solves problems with bold thinking and innovation.
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand.
Builders Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.