Senior Investment Accountant
Builders Initiative/Builders Vision
Position Reports to: Head of Finance & Accounting
Location: Chicago, IL
About Builders Vision
Builders Vision (BV) is an impact platform dedicated to promoting a humane and healthy planet. Builders Vision includes a range of philanthropic and impact investing capabilities to support, seed and scale sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, ocean health, animal welfare, and the arts. Today it encompasses a family foundation (Builders Initiative), a venture and growth equity group (S2G Ventures), and an asset management team (Builders Asset Management). We are guided collectively by the belief that markets can and should benefit society and the environment and that the most successful businesses in the future will be those that are purpose driven.
Our vision is “a humane and healthy planet,” which we relentlessly pursue and advance through our mission, “shifting markets and minds for good.”
Diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are at the core of our mission to shift markets and minds for good. We believe the change we want to see toward a humane and healthy planet starts with us. We understand that diversity, equity, inclusion and justice are long-term commitments, and while we aspire to be a catalyst for change, our journey starts from within. We are committed to learning from others and doing the work to become a more diverse, equitable, inclusive and just organization, and will seek to promote those same values in the world around us. We know that a diverse workforce allows everyone to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to achieve the organization’s mission. We actively seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome people from all experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
The family office relies upon many shared services provided by a central office, Walton Enterprises, Inc. (WEI), with locations in Bentonville, AR, Denver, CO and Washington, DC. WEI serves the needs of the broader Walton family and works in partnership and collaboration with family offices of individual family members, including Builders Vision.
Builders Vision is seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Senior Investment Accountant, reporting to the Head of Finance and Accounting, to play a role in implementing best-in-class operating procedures, accounting, and reporting for a growing organization. The ideal candidate will be a discreet, self-driven professional with family office or asset management experience and will be responsible for defining and implementing best-in-class operating procedures, accounting, and reporting.
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the candidate in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may evolve or change over time.
- Responsible for the investment accounting and operational activities related to investment entities managed by the enterprise.
- Coordinate with other team members and outsourced providers in the delivery of accurate and timely accounting and financial reporting.
- Actively seek opportunities to provide structure and improve operations to support the office, including outsourced providers.
- Performs daily accounting and monitoring procedures for investment portfolio.
- Assist with the development and execution of accounting procedures and controls for investment funds.
- Responsible for reconciliation procedures.
- Maintain organized financial records and work papers.
- Help implement and execute internal controls.
- Generates individual, combined and consolidated investment accounting and performance reports.
- Contribute by providing financial reporting and analysis for management team and investment team decision making.
- Utilize the available account aggregation, reporting and risk metrics/analytics capabilities in customizing the services and data to the desires of key stakeholders.
- Assist with supervision and coaching of staff accountant.
- Assist the Head of Finance and Accounting by overseeing projects to ensure they are completed in a timely fashion and within budget.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, this role will also assist the Head of Finance and Accounting with daily office operational, finance and accounting activities tasks on a needed basis.
Qualifications required for your success
- Bachelor's degree in Finance / Accounting, with CPA or MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience.
- Experience with Northern Trust Parilux and Sage Intacct not required, but preferred.
- Understanding of equities, bonds, funds of funds, hedge funds, private equity and venture capital investments.
- Knowledge of investment performance and related risks.
- Experience working with high-net-worth individuals, asset managers and/or family offices is a plus.
- A strong accounting background with a particular focus on the specifics of investment accounting.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships.
- Understanding of and familiarity with best practices related to accounting, processes and procedures, internal controls, and information integration.
- Solid technical accounting and financial reporting skills including the ability to aggregate, translate, and report on investment and financial information; and to develop meaningful and effective insights.
- Experience in capital call and cash flow management.
- Strong problem solving, critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Strong time and project management skills.
- Communicates effectively both verbally and written.
- Maintains a high level of professionalism, integrity, trust, and confidentiality.
- Stays organized and demonstrates the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively.
- Comfortable with and navigates ambiguity well.
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail and proofreading abilities.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and well within a group to effectively meet the goals of the team.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and customer service orientation.
- Exhibits a can-do attitude with willingness to roll-up one’s sleeves as needed.
Personal attributes that support your success
- You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others.
- You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work.
- A lifelong learner, who is inquisitive and solves problems with bold thinking and innovation.
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand.
- A superior communicator who treats everyone with respect.
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity.
Builders Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.