Mechanical Engineer Field Operations
Other Engineering, Operations
Posted on Monday, February 5, 2024
Aquabyte is on a mission to revolutionize the sustainability and efficiency of aquaculture. By making fish farming cheaper and more viable than livestock production, we aim to mitigate one of the biggest causes of climate change and help prepare our planet for impending population growth. Aquaculture is the single fastest growing food-production sector in the world, and now is the time to define how technology is used to harvest the sea and preserve it for generations to come.
We are a diverse, mission-driven team that is eager to work alongside kindred spirits. If this vision makes you smile, gives you goosebumps, or otherwise inspires you please get in touch.
We are currently focused on helping salmon farmers better understand their fish populations and make environmentally-sound decisions. Through custom underwater cameras, computer vision, and machine learning we are able to quantify fish weights, detect the health status, and generate optimal feeding plans in real time. Our product operates at three levels: on-site hardware for image capture, cloud pipelines for data processing, and a user-facing web application. As a result, there are hundreds of moving pieces and no shortage of fascinating challenges across all levels of the stack.
Watch a short documentary on Aquabyte with Amazon's CTO at a Norwegian fish farm here! https://youtu.be/YZ_qJ5JFD3I
Aquabyte is seeking a dynamic and highly motivated individual to join our team as a Junior Mechanical Engineer specialized in the deployment of camera equipment in fish farms across Norway. This role involves hands-on preparations and deployments all over Norway and abroad (80%) as well as quality tracking and improvements of our existing hardware products (20%).
- Servicing of our hardware products
- Deployment of cameras and associated equipment in Norway and abroad
- Troubleshooting assets and tracking failure modes
- Conducting investigations and communicating results to our engineering team
- Identifying system improvements and ways to implement them rapidly
- Second sourcing components to improved cost, quality, availability and reliability
- Supporting hardware testing
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Experience or the desire to learn SolidWorks
- Proven experience in field operations especially in marine environments such as fish farms
- Experience in manufacturing and QMS is desirable but not required
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Familiarity with underwater camera systems and aquaculture practices is a plus
- Class B driving license is required
- Boat license and/or experience operating boats is an advantage
- English and Norwegian spoken and written language proficiency
- Competitive salaries and generous equity
- Office space in the heart of Bergen
- Free lunch and free snacks
- Potential travel
- Evolve in a fast-paced environment
- Be able to shape a business in its early days
- Get ideas, feedback, and suggestions from other best-in-their-field colleagues
Aquabyte is a private company headquartered in San Francisco, and is supported by NEA, Costanoa Ventures, and many other respected investors.
At Aquabyte, we admire interesting people with a unique background. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy all the requirements, and we will get back to you as soon as possible!