AltaSea at the Port Of Los Angeles
The Operations Director (OD) will be responsible for the coordinated management of the AltaSea campus and its facilities, including oversight of renovations, tenant engagement, maintenance, and other operations.
The OD will supervise the Facilities Manager, who is responsible for facilities management and coordination of maintenance of AltaSea’s campus. Areas of that shared responsibility include coordination of infrastructure maintenance and repair, building safety, internet requirements, oversight of the janitorial services, shipping and receiving, mail, and OSHA and COVID-19 health and safety policies and procedures.
The OD will work with the Operations Manager and other staff or contractors to help market properties; oversee and coordinate the orientation of new tenants; obtain necessary permits, environmental clearances, certificates of occupancy and other legal requirements for tenants and/or AltaSea programs; contribute to a positive atmosphere onsite; and portray a positive image of the company externally.
• Provide expertise in the initial planning stages of renovations, shared facilities/equipment additions, and maintenance of facilities by collaborating with AltaSea leadership, architects, engineers, or other involved parties;
• Oversee contract negotiations, revisions, additions and adherence by all parties in collaboration with the Project Manager(s);
• Actively manage the Project Manager(s) and third-party General Contractor(s) and sub-contractors from start to finish, ensuring that proposals, bids, and contracts are circulated and completed in a timely manner; construction schedules, permits, and budgets are met; and warranted or non-warranted maintenance and repairs are identified are completed promptly;
• Supervise contractors and subcontractor onsite to ensure that work meets quality standards and adheres to specifications, including OSHA and other safety codes;
• Collaborate with leadership, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve problems, including work procedures, complaints, and construction or design issues;
• Interface as needed with governmental agencies and attend public meetings as AltaSea’s representative;
• Ensure personnel and tenants are adequately trained to discharge their responsibilities and adhere to facilities and building policies and procedures, including health and safety policies and procedures;
• Manage project close-out and maintain all “as-built” and other relevant documentation.
• Conduct and document regular inspections of facilities, assesses problems and needs, and implement preventive maintenance improvements as appropriate;
• Manage tenant improvements if required by sublease;
• Inspect properties when tenants take possession and vacate, to ensure compliance with lease expectations;
• Support the design and implementation of, and participate in, open houses, grand openings, Chamber of Commerce mixers, business expos and special events;
• Support the design, production and installation of property signage for marketing efforts of each property;
• Participate in periodic staff meetings and provide written/oral reports to senior management as needed;
• Supervise and guide the Facilities Manager, who will:
o Ensure all warehouses, grounds, and AltaSea equipment are well-maintained and in optimal working condition;
o Manage work orders for repairs, maintenance, and daily operations of facilities and equipment to ensure timely and effective completion;
o Conduct light maintenance projects, such as hanging dry erase boards, assembling small furniture pieces, and copying and distributing keys;
o Understand and develop building control systems, including alarm systems and emergency plans, and provides training to staff and tenants accordingly;
o Coordinate procurement of furniture, parts, tools and equipment and direct the work of related contract vendors.
o Ensure OSHA and other safety requirements are effectively communicated and implemented;
o Keep the OD and Operations Manager informed of facility activities and bring solutions to significant problems to their attention;
o Ensures that all personnel and tenants have internet access and power, managing day-to-day communications with IT consultants;
o Manage incoming/outgoing mail, including the mailings for fundraising campaigns.
o Manage janitorial and security vendors (and be AltaSea’s primary emergency contact);
o Support all events and site visits at the campus; and all day rentals, including filming at the site.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to speak Spanish preferred;
• Thorough understanding of engineering, architectural, and other construction drawings, as well as construction contracts, plans, specifications, and regulations;
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software;
• Ability to remain flexible and efficient in a fast-paced environment;
• Strong project management skills, results-driven, with ability to manage multiple deadlines;
• Able to traverse and inspect all areas of jobsites in all types of weather; this may include walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching; and comfortable with exposure to typical construction site dangers.
• Able to be on-call to address delays, emergencies, bad weather, and other issues at the jobsite;
• 5+ years of related experience (commercial leasing experience a plus); and/or a bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field with an emphasis in management;
• Proficient knowledge of real estate industry, property management principles;
• Excellent negotiation, problem-solving and people skills;
• Available to work extended hours as needed and available as needed for emergencies.
• On occasion walk or drive to different local sites throughout the day;
• Combination of field and office environment;
• May necessitate working in busy and loud environments;
• May be exposed to elements like cold, heat, dust, noise and odor.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 to $150,000 annually. Benefits include paid vacation, medical/dental/vision insurance, life and long-term disability insurance.
CONTACT: Terry Tamminen, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org