Summary: The Marine Fitter will be responsible planning, layout, fabricating, assembling, installing, repairing, and modifying piping systems, and pipe assemblies requiring close tolerance fit and structural soundness on ships, boats, barges and other floating marine equipment Work will be performed at Sitka Shipyard and may include occasional travel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Boat building and fabrication of other structures
- Tacking various fabrications together to prepare for welding
- Cutting with plasma and acetylene torches
- Layout, print reading, cutting, grinding and buffing aluminum extrusions and plate
- Assist Welders
- Clean up work area, general shop clean up
- Fabricate and assist welders in repairs to boats and yard equipment
- Fabricating and tacking handrail brackets and similar structures
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 2 years of pipefitter experience
- Must possess a valid driver license with an acceptable driving record
- Marine Industry knowledge a plus
Traits and Characteristics:
- Detail-oriented and effective communication skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively internally and with outside consultants or clients
- Problem solving ability a plus
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Hours are flex week. Expect occasional over-time. Work in a warehouse. May be dusty, cold environment. Occasional outside work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Environmental conditions generally include cool inside temperature, low to high level inside lighting, moderate to loud noise levels, all weather conditions, frequent use of required personal protective equipment. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel. Physically able to climb a 7-foot vertical ladder and fit through a 28-inch escape hatch.