Assistant Port Engineer
Summary: Under the supervision of the Port Engineer and the Operations Manager, the Assistant Port Engineer will assist in performing regular maintenance as well as minor to major repairs to a fleet of tour vessels. Many repairs are time critical and require long and varied hours to complete. This seasonal position is critical to the success of Allen Marine’s tour operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform engine oil changes on a fleet of four tour vessels.
- Be able to work unsupervised.
- Work safely in a fast-paced environment.
- Be able to communicate effectively with a small team of fellow employees.
- Assist in monitoring of maintenance inventory (i.e. lube oil, filters, tools, etc.).
- Communicate problems to Port Engineer.
- Keep dock and shop areas clean, safe, and free from hazards to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be flexible in prioritizing daily work activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must possess current Drivers’ license and have record with no recent violations.
- Be comfortable working around diesel engines.
- Possess experience with mechanic’s tools.
- Must be able to work varied shifts, some weekends, and some holidays.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment in random drug testing program is Coast Guard required).
- Must be able to work from mid-April to the end of September with little or no interruption.
- Prefer marine diesel experience
Traits and Characteristics:
- Must be self-motivated and be able to work unsupervised.
- Track record of being organized
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Effective at prioritizing
Work Environment: Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. And occasionally over night.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.