Summary: Requires public speaking ability and experience using PA systems. Develop tour narrative and conduct natural history presentations for groups of up to 150 passengers. Assist passengers boarding & disembarking; provide safety and emergency orientation; and work as a team member to distribute snacks and always maintain impeccably clean vessel. Biology and natural history background helpful.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop tour narrative plan with duty captain for each voyage, factoring time constraints, weather, recent sightings, tide, season, etc.
- Direct passengers boarding and disembarking, and during an emergency. Conduct safety and emergency orientation.
- Work with Guest Services crew members to provide commentary and personal interaction/service with up to 150 passengers on tour.
- Assist Guest Services crew members in the galley as needed. Including, but not limited to, distribution of snacks and food items as well as beverages. Employees 21+ are required to obtain TAPS certification to serve alcohol.
- Vessel duties include line handing, assist with docking / undocking of the vessel and mooring with cruise ships as requested by vessel captain.
- Assist other crew in maintaining vessel appearance, cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
- Perform other duties under supervision of Captain.
- Prior experience working on passenger carrying vessels preferred.
- Certifications required prior to first day of employment include CPR / FA certification, and Alaska Food Handlers card. Employees 21+ must obtain TAPS certification to serve alcohol.
- Public speaking experience very helpful. Must be able to effectively
communicate with up to 150 passengers on a P.A. system.
- Biology and/or natural resource background helpful. Must be able to learn and retain pertinent background material provided on board, for presentation to passengers.
- Must be able to work as a team with other crew to present coordinated narration and a quality experience for customers.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment in random drug testing program is Coast Guard required).
Traits and Characteristics:
- Must be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, and most important, reliable.
- Must enjoy meeting new people from all over the world on a daily basis
- Must be upbeat, and flexible – able to “roll with the punches”
- Must be a team player
- Must be creative and able to develop a tour narrative that speaks to glaciology, wildlife, natural and human history and other aspects of Southeast Alaska climate and environment.
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Days off will be scheduled but must be willing to be flexible in meeting tour demand.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.