Summary: Oversee and coordinate via radio and phones the movement of vessels, motorcoaches, other vehicles and passengers to and from Allen Marine's private dock facility at Auke Bay. Monitor updates to passenger counts and modify vessel tour schedules as needed. Make changes to crew schedules and assign relief crew as needed. Meet and greet passengers as they arrive at facility and direct their safe movement between coaches and vessels. This is a shore-based position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Devise and implement creative procedures that enable safe and efficient operation of a high-volume whale watching tour company on a facility where space is at an ever-increasing premium.
- Function as communication liaison between many key positions within AMT.
- Monitor on site traffic and activity in accordance with Maritime Security procedures.
- Act as point of contact for Motorcoach companies as well as for caterers and other tour operators.
- Act as sole point of contact for all complimentary, community outreach, and charity generated passengers.
- Develop knowledge of standard radio and telephone communications equipment along with standard broadcasting procedures and rules, and skill in operation of VHF and UHF radio equipment.
- Develop operating knowledge of FCC laws, regulations, procedures and practices applicable to basic radio-telephone operation.
- Enforce operational procedures and methods used in operation of Allen Marine Tours.
- Become familiar with basic maritime terminology and procedures.
- Ability to accomplish tasks in a controlled, effective and professional manner while working for extended duration under high levels of stress.
- Ability to prioritize and handle numerous and various time-sensitive tasks while maintaining a great attention to detail.
- Ability to solve unique spontaneous problems regularly and make high-impact decisions quickly and confidently.
- Ability to generate a multitude of co-operative relationships with co-workers as well as representatives of other companies involved with AMT.
- Proficiency with Windows based computer systems including word processing, spreadsheet and electronic mail applications.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, proper English usage, diction, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and demonstrated proficiency, alphabetic, chronological and numeric filing systems, techniques.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment in random drug testing program is company policy).
- Prefer experience with handheld and base-set radios
Traits and Characteristics:
- Works well under pressure
- An eye for safety and efficiency in systems
- Proven track record of organization
- Team player
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Days off will be scheduled, but must be flexible to changing tour demands.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to stand for long periods and be comfortable working in both indoor and outdoor environments in all types of weather. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.