Summary: Under the direction of the Port Engineer, this position is responsible for assisting mechanics with repairs and performing regularly scheduled lubrication and maintenance duties on our fleet of vessels.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform main engine and generator oil changes.
- Do required preventative maintenance on vessels.
- Work safely in a fast-paced environment and follow all safety policies.
- Assist in monitoring of maintenance inventory (i.e. spare parts, lube oil and fuel level, filters, tools, etc.).
- Communicate problems to Captain and Port Engineer or Port Captain.
- Assist vessel crew and Mechanics with engine and vessel repairs.
- Provide facility and vehicle maintenance as directed.
- Assist with shipping and receiving of inventory.
- Routine facility maintenance as directed.
- Keep vessels, dock and shop areas clean and free from hazards to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be flexible and prioritize daily work activities and keep busy.
- Provide relief deckhand duties onboard vessels.
- Some travel may be required.
- Be comfortable working around diesel engines.
- Possess mechanical aptitude, experience and knowledge a plus.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment in random drug testing program is Coast Guard required).
Traits and Characteristics:
- Be able to work unsupervised, as well as follow specific directions.
- Be able to communicate effectively with fellow employees.
- Team player
- Willing and excited to learn new skills
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Work takes place in small enclosed spaces. Work can be loud, dirty and physically demanding.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.