Summary: At Allen Marine, we offer several avenues of food service to our guests, aboard the vessels, grab-n-go, and at the lodges. For example, Alaskan culinary experience, lunch boxes, and pastries aboard the vessel and Orca Point Lodge. As a Sous Chef, you are responsible for leading the transport, inventory, safety, and sanitization of all food production, this will be at the direction of the Executive Chef. Our focus is to provide a quality, locally sourced meal while maintaining an impeccably clean operation for a five-star tour experience for each guest. Employees must be 18 years of age. This position is both shoreside and lodge-based.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain a clean appearance and uphold positive cultural standards.
- Work at the direction of the Executive Chef and Food and Beverage management team.
- Supervision of food production, inventory, storage, and sanitation processes.
- Oversee record keeping, control logs, auditing, and management of food cost.
- Ensure all food and beverage products are being prepared and plated based on company recipes and standards.
- Supervise staff in food storage temperature logs and proper labeling practices.
- Support proper HACCP protocols: clean and sanitize work areas and equipment.
- Be in continual compliance with food health and safety regulations and guidelines.
- Supervise other crew in areas such as food prep, bar, retail, lodge service, and maintaining lodge appearance, cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
- Enhance experience for guests by answering questions and assisting guests with specific problems/requests.
- Help in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus.
- Produce high quality meals and assist with recipe creation.
- Effectively provide feedback and take feedback and lead your team assertively and respectfully.
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely fashion that meet our standards.
- Fill in for the Executive Chef in planning and directing food and beverage preparation when necessary.
- Mentor and train kitchen staff, establish working schedule, and assess staff’s performance.
- Order supplies to stock inventory appropriately
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and guests.
- Perform other duties as assigned under the supervision of the Manager.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- 1-2 years of experience in a commercial kitchen.
- Have ServSafe Certification
- Public speaking experience helpful.
- Must be able and willing to prepare recipes precisely as directed.
- Must be able and willing to prepare the same exact menu, with consistent quality and precision.
- Proficient in knife skills.
- Proficient in leadership and management.
- Administrative skills are preferred.
- Must have current certifications for Alaska Training for Alcohol Professionals (TAP), Alaska Food Handlers and CPR/First Aid.
- Drug testing for cause
- Must be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, punctual, and most important, reliable.
Traits and Characteristics:
- Present a professional attitude at all times on duty.
- Must be able to greet and interact with guests in a friendly and personable manner.
- Must be able to work as a team with other crew to provide a quality experience for guests.
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.