Summary: Located on a remote island in Southeast Alaska, Orca Point Lodge offers an exceptional tour experience. Our lodge offers a locally sourced meal to guests who arrive on our whale-watch tour vessels and small cruise ships. Each morning, our dedicated crew members gather inventory and supplies at Auke Bay before being transported by vessel to the island, returning each evening. At Orca Point Lodge, our team is committed to providing top-notch hospitality and delectable meals that surpass expectations. With utmost attention to detail, our staff ensures that the lodge and dining room are pristine for every guest's enjoyment. Fast and efficient service is vital in creating a memorable experience. We believe in delivering true Alaskan hospitality, where every aspect is meticulously tailored to create unforgettable moments. Employees must be 18 years of age, with preference given to 21+ (alcohol service). This position is both shore-based and at Orca Point Lodge.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain a clean appearance and uphold positive cultural standards.
- Serve food and drinks to guests with high levels of hospitality.
- Enhance experience for guests by answering questions and assisting guests with specific problems/requests.
- Memorize and be able to describe the food being served to answer questions accordingly.
- Set up the lodge dining room for each tour.
- Set up the food stations accurately in a clean, organized manner before and after all services.
- Wash and sanitize tables, vacuum carpet, polish all utensils, wash windows, and clean restrooms between tours and at the end of each tour day.
- Stalk and maintain retail shop.
- Transfer inventory, food, supplies, and waste materials from the Auke Bay storage facility to Orca Point Lodge, and vice versa.
- Assist other crew in areas such as food prep, bar, retail, and maintaining lodge appearance.
- Be in continual compliance with food health and safety regulations and guidelines.
- Effectively communicate with team members and leaders.
- Perform other duties as assigned under the supervision of the Manager.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Prefer experience in food service.
- Public speaking experience helpful.
- Must be able to maintain a professional attitude toward guests and coworkers.
- Must be able to greet and interact with guests in a friendly and personable manner.
- Must be able to work as a team with other crew to provide a quality experience for guests.
- Must have current certifications for Alaska Training for Alcohol Professionals (TAP), Alaska Food Handlers, and CPR/First Aid.
- Must be drug-free (Allen Marine tests for cause).
Traits and Characteristics:
- Professional, friendly attitude
- Must be clean, well-groomed, courteous, honest, punctual, and most important, reliable.
- Team player
- Ability to keep a cool head in stressful situations
Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.