Lodge Naturalist / Groundskeeper Assistant
Summary: The Naturalist and Groundskeeper will interact with groups of up to 140 guests to provide information about the local marine life, plants, and natural history of Southeast Alaska. This position works with the team to provide a quality locally sourced meal and always maintains an impeccably clean lodge for a five-star tour experience for each guest. Requires public speaking ability. A Biology and/or natural history background is helpful. Employees must be 18 years of age. This is a shore-based position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Always present a professional and friendly attitude.
- Provide information for guests and answer questions regarding the marine tide pools, local plants, and history of the island.
- Move inventory, supplies and garbage between Auke Bay and Orca Point Lodge.
- Greet, assist, and direct guests across the dock to and from the island.
- Perform groundskeeping duties such as watering plants, scrubbing the deck and maintaining the cleanliness of the tide pool shelter.
- Assist in gathering and collecting marine animals from the island shores for the marine tide pool.
- Assist in monitoring the animals and regularly cleaning the tide pool.
- Work as a team with Lodge Service crew members to provide excellent guest service.
- Assist other crew in areas such as food prep, bar, retail and maintaining lodge appearance, cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
- Be in continual compliance with food health and safety regulations and guidelines.
- Enhance experience for guests by answering guest questions and assisting guests with specific problems/requests.
- Perform other duties as assigned under supervision of the Manager.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Prefer experience or background in Biology and/or Natural History.
- Must be able to develop tour narrative.
- Public speaking experience very helpful. Must be able to effectively communicate with large groups.
- Must be able to maintain a professional attitude toward guests and coworkers.
- Must have current certifications for Alaska Training for Alcohol Professionals (TAP), Alaska Food Handlers and CPR/First Aid.
- Must be comfortable working outside for extended periods of time in all types of weather.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment in random drug testing program is Coast Guard required).
Traits and Characteristics:
- Must be able to greet and interact with guests in a friendly and personable manner.
- Must be able to work as a team with other crew members to provide a quality experience for guests.
- Must be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, punctual and most important, reliable.
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.