Food and Beverage Manager
Summary: The position is multifaceted and involves close collaboration with the Director of Food and Beverage and Executive Chef to develop effective food menus, wine lists, and cocktail menus. The primary objective is to ensure exceptional product quality and deliver a seamless, elevated experience for our guests. This role encompasses oversight of the Orca Point Lodge and requires the ability to work independently while adhering to the plan set forth by the Food and Beverage Director. Effective written and verbal communication with other departments and vendors is crucial. The successful candidate will lead and inspire a talented team in the maritime industry, with a focus on food and beverage. They must possess a passion for excellence and infuse that enthusiasm into all aspects of their work. Alignment with our vision for exceptional cuisine and hospitality is essential. This individual will take pleasure in leading a seasonal team by selecting, training, evaluating, motivating, and coaching. Regular attendance at operational meetings is expected to ensure efficient coordination and cooperation between departments. The leader in this role will be visible in the operation, providing recognition, promoting positive public relations, and addressing guest concerns or special requests. Proficiency in food and beverage service, cost control, labor control, maintenance, merchandising, and accounting, as well as familiarity with food and beverage computer systems, is required. Adherence to Allen Marine's cultural and core standards, policies, and standard operating procedures is mandatory.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in conjunction with the Executive Chef to oversee the training and scheduling of all staff.
- Create and professionalize operational standards and checklists for all positions.
- Create and maintain an executable and profitable food and beverage program aboard our tour vessels.
- Maintain a proficient inventory of alcoholic beverages and premade cocktails for the tour vessels.
- Creating a revenue stream with ROI and setting us positively apart from the competition.
- Monitor quality and efficiency of tour operation and review crew performance on a weekly basis; report audits to the Food and Beverage Director.
- Conduct daily pre-service and post-service meetings with crew; maintain morale and execute company programs of progressive discipline and problem resolution.
- Document all personnel issues and route copies to the corporate human resource team in Sitka.
- Advise and monitor the assistant lodge manager to delegate specific duties while on-site at the lodge.
- Order and manage all provisions and inventory for the F&B department and coordinate with the supply coordinator for beverage needs.
- Create a schedule and coordinate with the operations team for daily transport by vessel to the lodge.
- Create and execute cleaning and inventory SOPs for all storage areas on the BIMA and at the lodge.
- Oversee maintenance of all on-site equipment and machinery
- Keep all permits and certificates current.
- Work closely with the Director of Retail to source and merchandise all locally-made products in the lodge gift shop.
- Maintain a constructive relationship with the Administrative Coordinator regarding point-of-sale electronic devices, retail sales, and daily reconciliations.
- Interact professionally with the entire shore management team, vessel crew members, and various vendors.
- You will also be responsible for the development, training, and disciplinary process of staff members.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
- Prioritize, identify, and coordinate projects to be completed during the winter months. Prepare work orders and provide updates/reports to corporate.
- Aid crew in enhancing guest experience including performing excellent service recovery when necessary.
- Seek and initiate methods to improve Allen Marine’s profitability at this venue.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum two years of management experience in a restaurant, tourism, or hospitality industry
- Maintain current TAPS, Alaska Food Handlers, and CPR/FA certifications.
- Computer literate with Excel & Microsoft Word.
- Always present a professional and friendly attitude to guests and crew.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be drug-free – test for cause.
- Serve Safe Certified preferred.
Traits and Characteristics:
- Excellent communication skills and a team-player attitude.
- Ability to work unsupervised while demonstrating leadership skills in a team environment.
- Great foresight and problem-solving skills.
- Must be honest, courteous, and reliable and maintain a clean, well-groomed appearance.
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes