Mobile application engineer [volunteer]
Help us reverse the countdown on animal extinction.
Knowing that millions of species are going to disappear in the next decades drives you crazy. You want to do something about it. We are building a global online collaboration project, SIREN, with tech contributors from all over the world who team up with marine biologists to develop tools that scientists, governments and fishermen communities can use to protect endangered marine life.
We are now looking for a mobile development volunteer to join our engineering team to bring to the next level our recently launched iPhone application that field observers use to collect data and photos on aquatic animals across multiple geographical areas, especially sharks, ray, sea turtles, dolphins, whales, manatees as well as fish stocks and illegal fishing activity.
Whether you can volunteer multiple days or a few hours a week, this is an opportunity to demonstrate your skills and experience to help solve complex problems and have a direct and highly visible impact on planet Earth.
You will leverage Agile methodology under the supervision of one of our engineering managers and in partnership with our UI/UX team to implement, test and deploy specific new features and use cases required by our partners for our Flutter-based SIREN mobile application on iOS and Android.
- Adding machine learning to optimize the identification of observed species, individuals.
- Imaging processing/analysis of possible illegal activities.
- Global availability of animal observations to a fleet of mobile devices.
- Add the support for more languages.
- Help optimize the performances of the application like the GPS/location accuracy.
- Increase the support of the SIREN application on a broader range of mobile devices especially low end phones that are widely used in developing countries.
We are asking that you be available for at least 3 months 5 hours a week (Depending on your skills and knowledge of Flutter). Longer term commitments are available too.
- Educational studies in a Bachelor or Master’s program in Computer Science that can demonstrate a good knowledge of Object Oriented Programming.
- Interest and/or experience in mobile development.
- Interest in conservation and wildlife.
- Knowledge of Flutter is a plus.
- Fluency in English.
- Location: Virtual.
How to apply:
- Send us a short email to email@example.com with your resume (attached or reference to LinkedIn), the role you are interested in and technical area of interest if any.