Protected Species Observer - Virginia
A.I.S., Inc. (AIS) is a national scientific services firm supporting maritime activities requiring certification of compliance with environmental regulations as well as collecting data for use by Federal, State, Municipal, and other government agencies along the US coastline.
AIS is recruiting Protected Species Observers to observe the monitoring and exclusion zones around pile driving operations and implement protective measures when necessary. The PSOs will work in a team during offshore operations and monitoring will be conducted 24 hours a day with an anticipated eight to twelve hours of work per PSO per day. This position is expected to start as early as April 2024 with 45 days on, 45 days off rotations. Candidates will be selected based on their experience identifying protected species.
- Monitor for visual detections of marine mammals and sea turtles around observation vessel for up to 12 hours in a 24-hour period
- Advise on the project specific regulatory requirements and real time mitigation actions.
- Operate the IR thermal imaging camera system to monitor for visual detections of marine mammals and sea turtles around observation vessel for up to 12 hours in a 24-hour period
- Collect and enter data into the Mysticetus system.
- Conduct personal QA/QC checks on data collected and entered into Mysticetus.
- Troubleshoot with Mysticetus team when necessary.
- Attend daily toolbox, HSE and project related meetings as needed.
- Follow up on HSE related issues.
- Participate in development of final report as needed.
Compensation: Candidates will be paid an hourly rate to be negotiated. This is a full–time position. Once you complete 90 days of work you will be eligible for the AIS benefits package. AIS benefits package includes health and dental insurance, vacation, sick and holiday benefits.
- 4-year degree with major in biological sciences
- Must have current STCW Basic Safety Training (BST), or GWO or BOSIET training.
- Must have current CPR/First Aid certification.
- Must be certified by a physician as fit for sea duty including:
- Not be susceptible to chronic motion sickness
- Ability to live in confined quarters
- Ability to tolerate stress
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds
- Ability to vigilantly monitor waters surrounding observation platform/vessel for up to 4 hours at a time and not more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period.
- Must have passed an approved PSO course/training and provide certificate
- Must have NMFS conditional PSO approval for nearshore and offshore projects
- Must not be affiliated with any group that may impair the objectivity or the appearance of objectivity
- Must have proof of eligibility to work within the US
- Must have offshore experience in the field.
- Preference will be given to those with experience using thermal imaging cameras in the field.
If you would like to apply for this exciting new opening, please click the following link http://aisobservers.com/careers/ to submit the required information:
- Cover letter detailing relevant experience.
- 3 professional references (name, email address and phone number),
- PSO Training Certificate
- Offshore Safety Training Certificate
All documents must be submitted for your application to be considered. If you have any questions pertaining to this opening, please reach out to our talent acquisition team at email@example.com or 508-990-9055.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of A.I.S. to recruit, hire, train, promote, transfer and compensate our employees and provide all other conditions of employment including Company sponsored events without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, lawful alien status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Must be able to work in the U.S. • VEVRAA Federal Contractor • Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals • Equal Opportunity Employer