Protected Species Observer (PSO) - Port Fourchon, LA
A.I.S., Inc. (AIS) is a national scientific services firm supporting maritime activities requiring certification of compliance with environmental regulations as well as collecting data for use by Federal, State, Municipal, and other government agencies along the US coastline.
AIS is recruiting protected species observers to observe the monitoring and exclusion zones around noise producing operations and implement protective measures when necessary. The PSOs will work in a team during offshore operations which will be conducted 24/7 and will an average of twelve hours of work per PSO per day. This position is expected to start in November 2023 for an estimated week of work. Candidates will be selected based on their experience identifying protected species.
- Identify marine animals using the naked eye and visual technology.
- Ability to vigilantly monitor for visual and acoustic detections of marine mammals around observation platform/vessel for up to 12 hours in a 24-hour period.
- Documenting behavior and other essential data
- Documenting data on logs in an organized manner
- Operate and maintain field equipment including Garmin GPS, binoculars with reticles, BigEye binoculars, range finder, handheld thermal imaging cameras and night vision devices.
Compensation: Candidates will be paid an hourly rate to be negotiated. This is a full–time temporary position. Once you complete 90 days of work you will be eligible for the AIS benefits package. AIS benefits package includes health and dental insurance, vacation, sick and holiday benefits.
- Must have current STCW Basic Safety Training (BST), or GWO or BOSIET training.
- Must have current CPR/First Aid certification.
- 4-year degree with major in biological or geophysical sciences
- Must be certified by a physician as fit for sea duty including:
- Not be susceptible to chronic motion sickness
- Ability to live in confined quarters
- Ability to tolerate stress
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds
- Ability to vigilantly monitor waters surrounding observation platform/vessel for up to 4 hours at a time and not more than 12 hours in a 24-hour period.
- Must have passed an approved PSO course/training and provide certificate
- Must have NMFS conditional PSO approval for nearshore and offshore projects
- Must not be affiliated with any group that may impair the objectivity or the appearance of objectivity
- Must have proof of eligibility to work within the US.
- Houma or Port Fourchon, LA
If you would like to apply for this exciting new opening, please click the following link http://aisobservers.com/careers/ to submit the required information:
- Cover letter detailing relevant experience.
- 3 professional references (name, email address and phone number),
- PSO Training Certificate
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of A.I.S. to recruit, hire, train, promote, transfer and compensate our employees and provide all other conditions of employment including Company sponsored events without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, lawful alien status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Must be able to work in the U.S. • VEVRAA Federal Contractor • Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals • Equal Opportunity Employer