Fish Count Technician
A.I.S., Inc. (AIS) is a national scientific services firm supporting maritime activities requiring certification of compliance with environmental regulations as well as collecting data for use by Federal, State, Municipal, and other government agencies along the US coastline. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has 8 mainstream Columbia and Snake River projects with fish ladders that allow for adult salmon, steelhead, bull trout, shad, lamprey, and other migrating and resident species to pass upstream. This project is being competitively bid and, in our efforts, to propose we are looking to find talented people who would like to join our team.
AIS is looking for Fish Count Technicians to support ongoing adult fish counting program at eight mainstem dams on the Columbia and Snake Rivers in the Portland and Walla Walla Districts (Bonneville, The Dalles, John Day, McNary, Ice Harbor, Lower Monumental, Little Goose, and Lower Granite dams).
The successful candidate will count fish at eight locations (15 fish ladders, 13 fish count stations), using in-person visual observation at count windows, live video feed and video playback from previously recorded sessions. The taskings will be as follows:
- Travel to hydroelectric project count stations.
- Identify fish by species group, with 95% accuracy for each salmonid species/group and 85% for American shad.
- Tabulate fish to a computer database.
- Record head burns, cuts, symptoms of gas bubble trauma, oral tumors, and other maladies.
- Use/troubleshoot computer/digital recording equipment.
- Current/valid driver's license.
- U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- Ability to use computer/digital recording equipment.
- Ability to travel to count locations and perform duties for 8-hour shifts.
- Ability to use basic arithmetic.
- Experience identifying Northeast Pacific fishes.
- Understanding of salmonid life-cycle.
- Experience updating/managing databases.
- Solid understanding of basic electronics.
Compensation: Candidates will be paid an hourly rate to be negotiated. Eligible FT employees will receive AIS’ benefits package, which includes health and dental insurance, vacation, sick and holiday pay.
- No travel anticipated.
- Applicants must live within a reasonable distance of the Portland or Walla Walla Districts.
If you would like to apply for this exciting new opening, please click the following link http://aisobservers.com/careers/ to submit the required information:
- Cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position.
- 3 professional references (name, email address and phone number)
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of A.I.S. to recruit, hire, train, promote, transfer and compensate our employees and provide all other conditions of employment including Company sponsored events without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, lawful alien status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Must be able to work in the U.S. • VEVRAA Federal Contractor • Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals • Equal Opportunity Employer