Executive Director, Oceans
The Minderoo Foundation
Minderoo Foundation takes on tough, persistent issues with the potential to drive massive change. We incubate ideas and accelerate impact. We push the limits of what is believed possible.
Minderoo Foundation is proudly Australian, independent, forward thinking and seeks effective, scalable solutions. Through bold, collaborative and selfless action, we seek to dismantle the systems that entrench inequality and advocate for a fairer future.
Minderoo’s Ocean Focus Area aims to return the ocean to a healthy state, free from pollution and safeguarded for future generations. Our work will focus primarily in the Indo-Pacific region but we may also look at neighbouring regions (e.g. Eastern Pacific Ocean and Southern Ocean). Alongside our peers and partners, we will advocate to scale promising practices and enact systems and policy change with a focus on: Sustainable Ocean economies, protecting and restoring ocean ecosystems and stopping plastic pollution.
About the Opportunity
Minderoo Foundation has launched its 2030 strategy, which aligns the outcomes of the organisation and its bodies of work around three Focus Areas:
· Uplifting Communities
· Advocating for Gender Equality
· Protecting Oceans
The Executive Director, Oceans is a critical, multi-faceted senior leadership role reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and accountable with the Executive Leadership Team for execution of Minderoo's 2030 strategy.
The role will lead the Oceans Focus Area strategy which is aiming to return the ocean to a healthy state, free from pollution and safeguarded for future generations. Our work will focus primarily in the Indo-Pacific region but we may also look at neighbouring regions (e.g. Eastern Pacific Ocean and Southern Ocean).
Alongside our peers and partners, we will advocate to scale promising practices and enact systems and policy change with a focus on:
· Sustainable ocean economies
· Protecting and restoring ocean ecosystems
· Stopping plastic pollution
Areas of focus for Minderoo’s work in Oceans may include:
· Ethical and sustainable ocean industry
o Ending overfishing
o Moratorium on seabed mining
· Blue economy financing
· Fair distribution of benefits (small scale fisheries and vulnerable communities)
· Coverage and effective management of marine protected areas
· Climate mitigation and adaptation
· Curbing virgin plastic production and demand
· Increasing plastic circularity – reuse and recycling
· Effective plastic waste management
· Establishing safe plastics and alternatives
The Executive Director, Oceans is responsible for strategic planning, team management and delivery against strategic outcomes for the Foundation’s Oceans focus area. They are responsible for the development and evolution of the Bodies of Work (“BoW”) that make up the Oceans strategy including:
· systems thinking / mapping and theory of change
· interventions and approach
· opportunity identification, planning and prioritisation
· resourcing and budgets
· target outcomes and measurement
· reporting and compliance
As a leader, the Executive Director, Oceans must provide guidance and feedback to their team to drive their development and success. Furthermore, they are accountable for reviewing and presenting BoW to the ELT/CEO/Board for approval, monitoring BoW performance and ensuring BoW are delivered or closed out with lessons learned.
The Executive Director, Oceans will have strong networks and influence with key external stakeholders across government, NGOs, business and philanthropy and will amplify the Foundation’s voice and influence in the Oceans area of focus.
Design, develop and implement the Oceans Focus Area Strategy:
· Design and develop a strategy that combines a top-down and bottom-up approach to the systems change required to better support Oceans.
· Ensure the strategy creates opportunities to scale promising practices.
· Develop a supportive coalition of internal and external key stakeholders who have a role in ensuring the strategy objectives are met.
· Oversee the implementation and measurement of the strategy by investing in research and data, advocating and supporting regulatory and/or policy change, increasing awareness and understanding, and enhancing the capacity and capability of stakeholders.
Executing the Oceans Strategy
· Develop clear key performance indicators, leverage resources, and realise the potential for scaling.
· Provide strategic guidance to team members in negotiating and managing partnerships, grants and contracts.
· Offer technical input and actively participate in programmatic and policy forums, meetings and conferences as required.
· Collaborate across matrixed teams to develop and execute cross-cutting grants in high-priority geographies.
· Identify and cultivate partnerships to build relationships across the public, private and philanthropic sectors in order to achieve the strategy and Foundation’s objectives.
· Amplify the Foundation’s voice and influence in the Oceans area of focus.
· Work collaboratively with the Foundation’s Advocacy team to ensure the Oceans Focus Area strategy has an aligned Advocacy Strategy and Plan that is implemented by the Advocacy team in consultation with the Oceans Focus Area.
· Lead with a values-based and inclusive leadership approach to achieve our mission applying the Minderoo DNA which includes our organising principles.
· Ensure we are operating in alignment with our Founders’ intent and that we apply a long term “resolve the problem” approach.
· Lead and manage the Oceans focus area team, ensuring that the team and the work represents the values of the Foundation, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I).
· Hire the talent needed to achieve outcomes, ensuring successful employee onboarding, communicating performance expectations, creating goal alignment, integrating project and change management, giving and seeking feedback, providing coaching, measuring progress and holding people accountable, supporting employee development and recognising achievement and lessons learned.
· Support the wider Foundation executive leadership team to ensure a collaborative and cohesive approach for all Foundation employees and for the CEO and Board.
· Uphold and fulfill legal and compliance responsibility for executive leadership team obligations.
Please attach your resume and a cover letter explaining why you interested in this opportunity.
Applications close: Sunday 12 November 2023
Please note we reserve the right to close applications early should a suitable candidate be identified.
Minderoo Foundation embraces Equal Opportunity and promotes diversity. We actively encourage Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders, people of all backgrounds, ages, sexual orientation, and those with Disability to apply.