At Saltwater Inc., we believe that high-quality data is vital to the health of our fisheries and oceans: our mission is to provide that data. We are a Women-Owned Small Business and are constantly seeking new team members who share our passion for innovation and environmental wellness.
Saltwater is currently recruiting for a Fish Biologist / Natural Resource Specialist to provide expert support to federal agencies. The Interior Columbia Basin Office, Southern Snake Basin Branch Office provides interagency consultation to other federal agencies pursuant to the authorities of Endangered Species Act (ESA), Magnuson Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA), Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act (FWCA), and Federal Power Act (FPA). Federal “action agencies” bring their proposed future actions which may affect marine migratory species (principally salmon and steelhead) to NMFS for scientific assistance in predicting likely future effects, minimizing adverse impacts, and maximizing positive effects. The office also implements ESA recovery plans through technical support in evaluating nonfederal proposals to various grant programs.
If you have general knowledge of salmonid life cycles and habitats, expert knowledge of the Snake River Basin salmonid life histories and geographic distributions, and experience in aquatic habitat conservation, we would love to hear from you. This position is to be filled immediately and is part of an ongoing contract in its second option year that extends through October, 2023. There are likely two more one-year option periods to follow. The location for this position is based out of Boise, ID.
- Complete the consultation projects for Snake River Basin Chinook salmon, steelhead and sockeye salmon including:Reviewing applications from action agencies to enroll in existing programmatic consultations and drafting letters or emails to enroll applicants into the programmatic consultations. Reviewing biological assessments from action agencies for listed salmon and steelhead. Writing Letters of Concurrence to action agencies related to their Biological Assessments for listed salmon and steelhead. Writing Biological Opinions to action agencies related to their Biological Assessments for listed salmon and steelhead. Reviewing proposed habitat restoration projects to implement Recovery Plans and the FCRPS habitat program. * For listed Salmon and Steelhead in the Snake River Basin, participate in the review and preparation of ?nal actions under the Endangered Species Act for Section 7 consultations as follows: Documentation of enrolled applicants into programmatic consultations as necessary. Comments on biological assessments from action agencies as necessary. Written letters of concurrence to action agencies as necessary. Written biological opinions to action agencies as necessary. Comments on proposed habitat restoration projects.
- Bachelor’s degree and four (4) years’ experience, or Master’s degree, from an accredited college or university in aquatic biology or related field of study and two (2) years’ experience relating to the specific task order.
- Knowledge of salmonid general life cycles and habitat requirements.
- Highly proficient English language composition skill.
- Skill in most common software applications, to include MS Office and Google Suite.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Expert knowledge of Snake River Basin salmonid specific life histories and geographic distributions
- Experience in aquatic habitat conservation
- Skill in fish habitat restoration methods
Salary range is dependent on the program, experience, and solicitation.
Only qualified applicants with the requisite experience need to apply. If interested, applicants should submit a resume and cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the qualifications listed above and why you would be the best candidate for the job.
Saltwater’s mandatory employee COVID-19 policy requires proof of Covid-19 vaccination to safeguard the health of our employees and their families.
Saltwater Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status. We strive to create an inclusive workplace culture to attract the best talent and allow each member of our team to achieve their full potential and maximum productivity.
We will honor all requests for application confidentiality.
For more information, please visit our website at www.saltwaterinc.com