Senior Fabrication Engineer
Education Required: MSc or equivalent degree in Mechanical Engineering / Electrical Engineering / Industrial Engineering / Naval Architecture
Position start: ASAP
About Principle Power
Principle Power is a leading global technology and services provider for the floating offshore wind energy market. The WindFloat®, the company’s globally and proven floating platform technology, enables offshore wind turbines to be sited in any water depth or seabed condition, unlocking offshore wind potential worldwide and allowing projects to harvest the best wind resources. Principle Power acts as a trusted partner to developers, independent power producers, utilities, and EPCs, supporting its customers throughout the entire lifecycle of their projects. With 105 MW of cumulative capacity in operation or under advanced development and a multi-GW commercial pipeline globally, Principle Power is the market leader in floating offshore wind technology.
The Fabrication group holds a pivotal role within the company as it serves as the central hub for project execution phase services. At its core, the Fabrication team manages and supervises construction projects, ensuring the floating offshore wind platforms are fabricated, inspected, tested and documented in accordance with contract requirements, including its design and specifications, applicable rules, regulations, and quality standards. Fabrication is a multidisciplinary team that is involved over the entire project lifecycle, from engineering / design to commissioning and supporting operations & maintenance.
Fabrication also plays a vital role in fostering a culture of innovation and continuous improvement. It explores new techniques, materials, and technologies to enhance efficiency, productivity, reduce costs, and improve the overall quality of the company´ proprietary floating offshore wind platforms. By staying abreast of industry advancements and best practices, and through active collaboration with industry stakeholders, the Fabrication group contributes towards the company remaining competitive in the market and ready to deliver industrial scale projects.
Contribute to fabrication projects as a member of the assigned fabrication management team, both on site and remotely, reporting to the project Fabrication Manager.
Management of fabrication scope in own field of expertise (Marine Systems, Electrical & Instrumentation Systems, Mechanical Completion and Commissioning):
- Responsible for the monitoring of marine systems, E&I, and pre-commissioning fabrication activities to ensure:
- design & project specifications are adhered to
- applicable rules & regulations are met
- quality standards are met
- Support the Fabrication Manager by serving as the focal point of contact for own disciplines in interfacing with:
- Client representatives
- Classification society attending surveyors
- Fabricator and/or subcontractor own discipline leads
- Suppliers and third-party project stakeholder representatives
- Read and interpret project documentation (drawings, specifications, datasheets, procedures, etc.)
- Handle fabrication technical queries: discuss requested and/or identified deviations and related remedial solutions
- Identify deviations requiring design/engineering approval differing from fabrication adjustments and liaise with engineers for follow-up
- Open or request fabricator to open NCRs and follow-up
- Lead and management of site inspectors to ensure:
- Review and approval of fabricator, supplier, and other third-party project documentation (drawings, specifications, datasheets, procedures, etc.)
- Inspection of equipment and materials received at fabricator facilities, review of material certificates and its compliance with specification
- Inspection of fabrication witness and hold-points throughout construction (pre-fabrication to assembly & mechanical completion), report findings & follow-up
- Carry out of unplanned inspections and report findings (keep a weekly observation list to be shared with fabricator & client, including any HSE observations)
- Attendance of Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs) and Site Acceptance Tests (SATs)
- Witnessing of fabrication and platform testing
- Fabrication traceability is performed, kept up to date and made available
- Review of fabrication documentation to be included in the MRB in view of Mechanical Completion & Commissioning procedures.
- Ensure company HSE policies are adhered to. Drive an incident free environment through establishing and maintaining a strong safety culture.
Contribute to the support the Fabrication Group provides to other company´ groups and activities in own field of expertise (Marine Systems, Electrical & Instrumentation Systems, Commissioning):
- Contribute to development of fabrication specifications
- Review of design/engineering documentation
- Participate in project design reviews & HAZIDs
- Contribute to continuous development of Company´ products
- Support the development of project (pre-FEED, FEED, EPCI) proposals, specifically in parts related to fabrication and general knowledge of typical project execution plan of offshore floating units
- Contribute to development and management of offshore inspection & maintenance plans.
- Incorporate fabrication as-built data into O&M ITPs
- Support (and occasional participation in) offshore inspections carried out in operational units
Skills & Competencies
- MSc or equivalent degree in Mechanical Engineering / Electrical Engineering / Industrial Engineering / Naval Architecture
- 10+ years’ experience in the marine / offshore sector, 5+ years’ experience related to construction / fabrication of floating structures
- Familiarity with common marine / offshore regulations, standards & codes (Classification Societies Rules, ISO, IEC, NORSOK, ASME, API, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret all details of fabrication documentation
- Safety awareness on construction sites. Good physical condition. Ability to obtain certificates for work at height, work in confined spaces, and offshore work.
- Perfect command of written and spoken English (Portuguese is a plus).
- Basic understanding of quality control / quality assurance processes in marine / offshore construction projects
- Strong analytic skills
- Good reporting skills, both oral and written
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Excel, Word)
- Hard-working and exemplary ethical record mandatory
- Strong people skills and teamwork
- Experienced working in a multicultural and international environment
- Meticulous and persistent
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Team player
- Authorized to work in the location you apply to