Senior Director of Operations
Applications should be submitted with a cover letter and resume. Title the email “Oceanic Global Senior Director of Operations Application” and send it to email@example.com.
Oceanic Global (OG) is looking for a Senior Director of Operations (DOO) with strong operational and management skills to join the leadership team. This is a unique position in which the candidate would be working with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop strategy for the overall organization and leading the implementation of OG’s core programs encompassing: grassroots organizing, industry solutions, cause marketing partnerships, and fundraising. As the DOO, you will play a critical role in overseeing the day-to-day operations and strategic initiatives of Oceanic Global. The role is well-suited for someone with a passion for creative thinking, innovation, and action-oriented leadership. The ideal candidate takes initiative, is an executor, a natural community builder, tech savvy, loves the ocean and nature, and is both a true team leader and player.
The DOO role is a leader in the ocean and/or environmental space. The candidate should be comfortable speaking publicly about the ocean, environmentalism, and OG’s mission/programming. Experience working across multiple stakeholder groups including: the private sector, civil society, public sector, grassroot groups and community-led coalitions is required. Institutional experience is a bonus but not necessary. As a global organization, the ideal candidate brings a global mindset, and enjoys working with people from diverse backgrounds.
Oceanic Global is a small, mighty, and fast-paced organization that operates similarly to a startup. This role is perfect for savvy applicants who enjoy working on multiple projects at once, are dynamic collaborators, enjoy traveling, and believe in building towards a world where humanity coexists and is in harmony with nature and the ocean.
Strategy & Business Development
- Actively support the growth of Oceanic Global and manage programs under the supervision of Executive Director, as well as provide executive level support to OG stakeholders including Board and advisor communications.
- Lead the development, implementation and execution of our strategic programs, which include, but are not limited to: the Blue Standard, Grants, Origin Program, Hubs Program, grassroots activations, corporate partnerships, and institutional event partnerships including UN World Oceans Day and the UN climate conference (COP).
- Lead on impact and KPIs across programmatic areas, new business and programmatic opportunities.
- Evolve impact metrics as measurement tools for success across OGs impact and educational efforts. Monitor progress towards goals, identify areas of opportunity and implement necessary changes to drive organizational effectiveness.
- Strategize and outreach for new viable partnerships and/or donors to diversify stakeholder networks, establish credibility, and increase global reach. This includes experience onboarding corporate sponsors, grants, family offices and/or foundations.
- Publicly represent the organization in a thought leadership capacity including speaker opportunities, white papers, etc.
- Provide expertise to support Oceanic Global thought leadership opportunities and consulting deliverables related to ocean health and ocean solutions.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Oceanic Global by leading on programmatic areas including team management, establishing processes and systems for growth, development and efficiency of programs, and ensure collaboration and alignment across teams.
- Work closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Executive Director, and Treasurer to properly manage financial resources, resource allocations per programmatic areas, and fundraising (including funding and sponsorship dialogues) . Oversee programmatic resource allocation and proper internal controls. Lead on deliverables on large cause marketing partnerships tied to respective programs.
- Oversee and develop specific resources such as guides and educational collateral.
- Work closely across different teams for example, with Marketing to ensure cohesive messaging across all channels.
- Support OG’s JEDI (justice, equity, diversity, inclusion) goals and development.
- Represent OG on relevant coalitions for public, private and civil society sectors and associated policy work.
- Manage administrative staff and team time allocation, ensuring adequate team capacity and staffing levels.
- Foster team cohesiveness and collaboration across team roles and responsibilities, leading with integrity, creativity, and empowerment.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in an ocean-related field, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Business and/or other related fields.
- 5+ years experience in the ocean / environment space: ocean conservation, business development, corporate sustainability, etc.
- 5+ years in people and cross-team management and department growth.
- Strong communications, copywriting skills, and presentation skills.
- Diligent attention to detail.
- Experience with tech platforms including AI softwares and Google Suite (Google Doc, Google Sheets, Google Drive), Slack, and Zoom meeting management.
- Ability to lead, multitask and manage many projects at once, while having the foresight to anticipate program needs into the future.
- Self-motivated and comfortable leading a small but dynamic team.
- Resourceful, efficient, a good problem solver, organized, and the ability to work independently and remotely.
- Willingness to travel when necessary.
- Willingness to work with a global clientbase.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of humor.
- Global mindset, genuine desire to create positive impact and inspire others to protect our ocean and our planet.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Sustainability consulting experience.
- LEED AP, WELL AP, and/or other professional sustainability accreditation.
Time, Location and Salary
- Full-time salaried position - 40 hours per week
- The PTO package includes 21 days paid time off and 11 public holidays
- Healthcare stipend
- Location: Remote. Option to work EST or UK hours.
- Salary within USD $80k-$105k, commensurate with experience
About Oceanic Global:
Oceanic Global (OG) reminds us of humanity’s essential relationship to the ocean and guides us in restoring equilibrium to our blue planet. Our work is designed to deepen humanity’s connection to the ocean, and provide tangible solutions for resilience and rewilding of our blue planet. Collectively, our core programs blueprint for coexisting in harmony with our natural world.
Applications should be submitted with a cover letter and resume. Title the email “Oceanic Global DOO Application” and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. *Note: We are looking for thoughtful and individual applicants, so we encourage you not to use AI tools in your cover letter. Please send through your application by August 31, 2023.
Thank you for your consideration and interest in joining our team!