Location: Anywhere in the U.S., preferably in the Portland, OR metro area
About Ocean Outcomes (O2)
Do you care about sustainable seafood, thriving fishing communities and healthy oceans? Join Ocean Outcomes, a dynamic organization working globally to develop and implement creative solutions towards more sustainable fisheries and seafood production. At O2, we work hand-in-hand with fisheries, aquaculture producers, seafood companies, international NGOs, government representatives and local stakeholders to ensure:
- Ocean resources are abundant and sustainably harvested
- Seafood harvesters are responsible stewards of the resources on which they depend
- Seafood supply chains are transparent and legal
- Fishing communities and fishery-based livelihoods flourish
- Fishery management and ocean policy are innovative and grounded in sound science
O2 is a fully virtual organization with administrative operations based out of the Pacific Northwest in the United States. We are a small global team committed to incorporating justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in both our internal and external work. Our organizational culture, strategies and approach to our work emphasize equity, empowerment, authenticity and agency. We are an integrated, collaborative team working on a foundation of transparency and trust, which we bring with authenticity and humility to our co-workers, our partnerships and in the places we work. Join us and help improve the sustainability of seafood production and the collective well-being of the oceans and people who depend on them.
Help support, lead and deliver core organizational processes and platforms for Ocean Outcomes and its programs. O2 is hiring a Program Assistant to expand its core organizational capacity — supporting both the efficacy and efficiency of the organization as a whole while also contributing to the success of overlapping programmatic areas of work.
We are seeking a motivated multitasker who is a detail-oriented, communicative, collaborative and enthusiastic learner to support and lead on a variety of projects and processes across Ocean Outcomes, ranging from communications to project management to administrative responsibilities. This position will start as a one-year term, with the potential to extend and for growth.
- In collaboration with the Director of Finance and Operations and O2’s Accountant, carry out financial and administrative tasks for the organization, including generating invoices, issuing payments via ACH and international wire, interfacing with clients, supporting the development and processing of contracts and other agreements, monitoring bank balances and transactions, processing expense reimbursements, assisting with quarterly financial reporting, and supporting an annual financial audit (~30% of role)
- In collaboration with O2’s Communications Director and other team members, manage O2’s social media accounts and support the implementation of O2’s communication’s strategy, including content development, graphic design, copyediting, photo database management, analytics and reporting, and campaign materials development (~50% of role)
- Collaborate across the organization to improve internal alignment and efficiency across project management and events planning needs, from tracking deliverables in our online project management platform to planning, facilitating and executing organizational retreats, meetings and site visit travel (~20% of role)
What we need:
- Proven financial abilities of some scale with high attention to detail and an accompanying willingness to learn and grow in this capacity (e.g. budgeting, bookkeeping, contract management, etc.)
- Demonstrated thoughtful and creative communications experience of some scale and an enthusiasm for online, digital marketing (e.g. social media presence, design portfolio, writing samples, etc.)
- Someone who is organized, timely, reliable, self-directed, motivated and who has an openness to helping with different types of tasks
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a diverse and multicultural team, possessing empathy and respect for diverse perspectives
- Commitment to transparency, accountability, continuous learning, and direct communication
- Professional communication and writing skills in English, and the ability to work with a geographically dispersed team across time zones, which includes some meetings outside of regular business hours
- Capability to build and maintain professional, equity-centered, relationships with coworkers, stakeholders and clients
What we would be excited to see:
- Experience with position-relevant professional grade software and platforms, such as Quickbooks, Asana, Google Workplace and Adobe Creative Cloud
- Bookkeeping skills; accounts payable and accounts receivable experience
- Passion for sustainable seafood and ocean conservation, and/or experience in fisheries or seafood supply chains
- Working ability/fluency in a second language, such as Spanish or Mandarin Chinese
Starting base compensation for this position will be between $38,000 - $50,000 USD, commensurate with experience. O2 offers a generous benefits package including full coverage of medical, dental, and vision for employees and qualified dependents, matching into our 401K retirement program, a flexible vacation time policy that trusts and encourages people to take time off when they need it to support a healthy work-life balance, and basic life, AD&D, and short and long term disability insurance. We also provide a cell phone service stipend and we cover the costs of cell phones and computers for employees so that employees have the tools they need to effectively work at O2. We are a virtual organization, so the location of this position is ‘home-based’; meaning the Program Assistant will support their own work space, ideally in the Portland OR metro area, where the Director of Finance and Operations and Director of Communications also live. Currently, O2 has team members and core partners in China, France, Japan, Mexico, South Korea and the United States. We aspire to bring the whole team together in-person each year when possible.
Recruitment will continue until 7 July 2022, at which time screening and selection processes will begin.
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.